Nov 29, 1999
Auburn, AL
Here are some images for ya.

stangnetGT500KR_01.jpg

stangnetGT500KR_02.jpg

stangnetGT500KR_03.jpg

stangnetGT500KR_04.jpg

stangnetGT500KR_05.jpg

Celebrating the fortieth anniversary of the original Shelby Cobra GT500KR, Ford and Shelby collaborate on a new ‘King of the Road’ Mustang with the 2008 Shelby GT500KR.

Shelby GT500KR features an estimated 540-hp 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 with a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack, 3.73:1 rear axle ratio, short-throw shifter, and unique suspension tuning.

Exterior design draws inspiration from the classic Shelby KR Mustangs and features unique carbon composite hood, wheels, and special 40th Anniversary badging and unique striping.

Shelby GT500KR arrives in spring 2008 in an exclusive run of only 1000 units.

• Sponsors (?)

I really hate you for posting that. Now i have to go and buy a new chair because of the bodies natural reaction to something that drop dead gorgeous. Holy smokes, good god almighty, i could go on all day because i have been inspired. THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS POST!

well, i like the appearance of the car. 40hp is a joke. the dealer markups will be insane. why even make this car? hopefully the revised suspension will at least out perform the roush stage 3. i could go on and on.

This is what the GT500 SHOULD have been from the start! That is one awesome looking car! Amazing how much the hood adds to it. The 40 HP increase IS a joke...at least be bold (from Ford's standpoint) and bump it up to 600. I'm glad to see that they will be doing some suspension "tuning" as a car with that much power should NOT have the same suspension as the stock GT. Now with ONLY 1000 of these to be built, will dealers mark it up to 6 figures????? For that price I would look to purchase an original KR and have a Shelby worthy of that asking price.

You know, that car looks good. I tend to agree with the questions about the hood (although I like the view from the top - and you'll never see it from that view). But, (gotta be honest, and I hate to) how many more times are they going to do little to nothing and act like it's the "second coming" (Shelby GT, California Special)? And now they come out with this BIG ANNOUNCEMENT (that none of us will ever be able to touch) about a car that has a couple more pieces of after-market gunk and an 8% increase in power. BIG DEAL! And we are all suppose to run and hide and look for our mothers because it has the name Shelby on it. Ford puts too much emphasis on Shelby and the past (and yes, those are my fav Mustangs (67-70).

Instead of "Bold Moves", Ford's matto ought to be "Milk the past dry because we can't do a thing worth a piss right now." I like the S-197 ("reshaped the past"). The Ford GT (love it, but "reshape the past" again). I like everything they've done. But isn't a part of being bold designing something new and radical (gee, how could I forget The Edge:rolleyes: )? Apparently not in Dearborn (and it appears to have rubbed off on GM & Dodge with their "reshaped past" coming to a dealer near you soon). You can't tell me they couldn't. Ford is in big trouble in the car market, period. Design something new! If you want to use certain styling cues from the past, okay (to a point). But don't use the past as your BASE.

And with bringing Shelby back (as much as I hate to admit it again because I bleed blue), it removes the possibility of any specialty Mustang being within reach for 99% of folks. I bought a '96 Cobra brand new. Great car, but in no way could the average Joe afford what a specialty Mustang is today. I understand that people don't want to see 100,000 '07 Shelbys running around. But I thought that was what Saleen was for (no wonder he's going to build Camaros). Leave the $60,000 to $80,000 Mustangs to him. Do something above the GT for average Joe! I guess we'll see about the rumored Boss and\or Bullitt.

Talk about jokes, that Shelby GT is a COMPLETE joke (like only having 40 hp extra on the KR). Look at what the dealers are allowed to sell them for (as much as possible). GARBAGE! How many people are going to be able to touch those? And, all you are buying is a nameplate with the Shelby GT, that's it! No real performance increase.

Sorry to ramble. Don't post much at all. Bottled-up aggression if you will. And I know I just touched on way more topics than this thread implies.

Sorry to ramble. Don't post much at all. Bottled-up aggression if you will. And I know I just touched on way more topics than this thread implies.

dido all that!!

I'll save us some reading. post more often, you'll feel better. It's worked for me. lol

the only thing I'll add is these teasers are getting old. I was as blown away as anyone when i first saw the pics, but i quickly realized ford is up to it's same old tricks again. :nonono:

another thing... from the top down doesn't it look like the new super duty w/ the SHELBY in the hood. Maybe it's just me but that's is one of the first things that caught my eye. I do think the hood is better then the straight gt500!!:SNSign:

Gorgeuous car. This is what the first Shelby GT500 should have been. However, why won't Ford please release a special edition mustang that won't be limited to only 1000 units? Something who's price will NOT be bloated by dealers. I fear the same price gouge for the upcoming Bullitt and Boss. I believe they're only limited to 5000? :shrug:

2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR – Specifications and Design Highlights

5.4-liter supercharged V-8 producing an estimated 540-horsepower and 510 ft.-lbs. of torque
Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack featuring revised calibration and cold air intake system
6-speed manual transmission with 3.73:1 rear axle ratio
Ford Racing performance exhaust system
Unique performance suspension tuning: springs, dampers, and stabilizer bars
Shelby-designed ‘GT500KR’ 20-inch wheels (18-inch version for production)
Ford Racing short-throw shifter and front strut tower brace
Unique carbon composite hood featuring classic Shelby ‘KR’ design
Front brake cooling ducts
‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid
40th Anniversary badges on the front quarter panels (fenders)
Carroll Shelby signature embroidered headrests and floor mats
Official Shelby CSM 40th Anniversary GT500KR dash plate

I agree with all these posts. The Mustang was an immediate success back in 1964 because the masses could afford it.
Ford knew how to market a car then.
Now Ford apparently only knows how to tease us and upset us. Screw the limited numbers and the prices only the rich can afford.
This isn't the way forward. It's the way to bankruptcy.
I am not pleased and I bleed Ford blue and plan to be buried in my Mustang.
Build at least a few special Mustangs I can afford. Please.

Well, this is going to be a $100,000 car.:bang:

Too bad, as I want one. The hood was the one thing on the GT500's I wasn't crazy about. This hood is 100x better.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else here:

That is what the GT500 should have been from the get-go!

The rims don't do anything for me and they're one of the only things different about the car besides the hood and spoiler. Why would someone pay the extra money for these changes. I think it's disappointing but to be expected.

I am sorry to say it, but I am about to give up on Ford (hell all Domestics for that matter). I have owned 3 Stangs and if this continues this will probably be my last. If ford releases a 400+ HP mustang that I can afford then maybe I will change my mind.