2008 Shelby GT500KR

I think the car is sweet and itll be a performer but like everyones stated, its gonna be way too expensive. Only the elitist car collectors are gonna own these cars. The only main relevant difference is the rear end gears and the suspension. The 2 major faults with the regular gt500. The 3.31 gears and the stock gt suspension are unacceptable in the standard gt500. The one thing that I really hate about this new KR though is the wheels, they do not fit with the theme whatsoever. Did they steal those wheels from like a nissan or something? They are also too big. The antenna makes the car look like an rc car too. The 40 horses is nice but its nothing simple bolt ons wont do for way cheaper. jus my 2 cents

• Sponsors (?)

Dealers tried to screw us too on the 2003 and 2004 Mach 1s. They promised limited numbers, jacked up the price which many paid and then built more. I bought a 2003, which I wish I still had, a year after my dealer first got it. Initial asking price was about $4,000 over sticker. I got it for $4,000 under sticker after a year.
You would think they would learn.

I just learned from a dealer friend of mine that a dealership in Colorado just bought his dealership's GT500 convertible for 15 over sticker.

That's right, a dealer paid another dealer this price.....

It's obvious people want them, but I don't know honestly where it is all coming from. I like this car and think it's going to be a good move, but it needs more power, if for anything, bragging rights. 575+ should be the target number, and I'm really hoping closer to release they'll bump the power up.

But what I'd like to know from those who say this car isn't affordable is what else can you buy for the power/performance these cars offer? What else offers 500 HP?

Just because dealerships and greedy owners jack the price up doesn't mean Ford is. They're getting their 45K and that's it.

Sticker price being what it is, these cars are bargains.

http://www.answers.com/topic/corporate-average-fuel-economy

The GT500 does include a guzzler tax. I didn't check but are there any other low mileage cars that Ford makes? If so, can they make fewer of those so they can make more GT500s?
This is why Ford is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They can't produce a 400+ stock Mustang GT that will have a base price of $25K (Mustang for the masses) AND meet the mileage requirements. The market just won't bear the higher price and/or the gas guzzler tax on a Mustang GT for the masses. So, they try to satisfy a lower number of "enthusiasts" (us) by coming out with special editions that most of us still can't afford (mostly because of the dealer 2nd stickers). We don't want to accept that we just can't have it both ways though. I love that Ford has decided to come out with the KR, but it's just going to be another Ford Marketing SE that a few idiots will pay the outrageous price for.

The 96-99 and 01 Cobras were the last SE's that had a significant increase of power and equipment over the base GT, but with a proportionate price tag. Starting with the 03-04 Cobras and Mach 1's the proportional increase in price of these cars over the GT got a lot higher, but it's just plain stupid on the S197's.

I owned an 01 Cobra, so I've been there before. I had a thought that I might be able to get into an SE again when the S197 came out, but I wasn't prepared for how much more the price would be for an S197 version (and I'm talking about just the Shelby GT here, not the GT500). It's nuts!

Now that this obviously heads to the top of the "got to buy it because it will be a collectors item someday" heap, I wonder what impact it will have on the mark up on the GT500?

Personally, I see just a few exceptions where buying a car as an investment would pay off, very few. But, there are a lot of people out there taking that gamble or just not seeing the facts clearly. With this car being more exclusive, I would think that the investment folks would be lining up and searching EBay for rights to buy already.

Now that this obviously heads to the top of the "got to buy it because it will be a collectors item someday" heap, I wonder what impact it will have on the mark up on the GT500?

Personally, I see just a few exceptions where buying a car as an investment would pay off, very few. But, there are a lot of people out there taking that gamble or just not seeing the facts clearly. With this car being more exclusive, I would think that the investment folks would be lining up and searching EBay for rights to buy already.

As part of the press release: “With the unveiling of the new KR we are staying true to the promise we made our loyal Mustang fans to continue Mustang’s prowess by bringing new, exciting and more powerful Mustangs to market.”

I was going to ask, What market is Ford filling by producing only 1000 highly overpriced cars? I guess the last post might have answered that... either the collector market, or the spoiled rich person "going to drive it til I'm either bored with it or total it" market.

I know it was a differnt time and a differnt market back in the late 60's, but I wonder if the Mustang enthusiats of the day had similar criticisms of the Special Editions back then.... After all, how many Boss 429's were actually produced? 869 or something like that? But Ford managed to produce over 72,000 Mach 1's that same year. Not sure what the price difference was from a GT500 coupe to a regular V8 coupe since they had so many different engine options back then.... food for thought.

competition

There is not enough competition in the market right now for dealers to not mark up their special edition vehicles. I think once the Challenger and Camaro come out, prices will not be so crazy anymore.

Ford holding off on a Boss until the Camaro and Challenger come out are going to make people think long and hard about what they really want.

This is why Ford is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They can't produce a 400+ stock Mustang GT that will have a base price of $25K (Mustang for the masses) AND meet the mileage requirements.

Who does produce a 400HP car for 25K?

No one.

The Mustang GT is still among the lowest priced cars with 300HP right now.

I'd expect when the GT does get closer to that 400 HP number the price might rise a couple grand, but Mustang will still be the price leader of the the three, as it's always been.

Who does produce a 400HP car for 25K?

No one.

The Mustang GT is still among the lowest priced cars with 300HP right now.

I'd expect when the GT does get closer to that 400 HP number the price might rise a couple grand, but Mustang will still be the price leader of the the three, as it's always been.

I made that comment because there are many here and on other forums that continuously complain that "Ford could have made more HP stock in the Mustang if...", and "Ford will have to get the HP up in the Mustang if they're gonna compete with the new Camaro or Challenger", which is odd since they seem to be the same people that complain the SE's are too much money (which I agree with). But, in my earlier post, I stated, "We don't want to accept that we just can't have it both ways though".

There are many here that don't seem to remember that for years the Camaro out performed the Mustang, but the Mustang was the market leader because what they did bring to market was still exciting to drive and more affordable. It just seems so odd that Ford is bringing out these SE models whose business model seems to be the opposite of what has made the Mustang such a success story for them.

I tend to think Ford is just riding the retro wave and just trying to sell more cars.

The Mustang can be had by a wider range of people, and SE cars often bring in buyers who might otherwise shop for pricier cars.

Besides, it leaves the rest of us something to aspire to own, which is no different from when the old Mustangs of the '60's ran around with the Shelbys or the Mach 1's of that era.

Spare time fun

Did some artistic versions of the new KR. Even put it side by side with the original.

500KR-1-coloredpencil.jpg

500KR-2-coloredpencil.jpg

500KR-3-coloredpencil.jpg

500KR-4-coloredpencil.jpg

Seeing it here beside the original, it NEEDS the side scoops IMO.
68GT500KR08GT500KR.jpg

FORD always pusses out. why dont they make something that will be a contender with the ZO6?

they are missing one thing. They need to up the boost by 2lbs on the blower, and use a FORD racing intake system developed for the GT500. that would put it at 600 ponies and be right there with the ZO6, but FORD is too gay and weak to do it. It would make the response to the new model so much greater.

FORD, you suck at being better(performance) than the other guys. get some balls, seriously. How can you call it "King of the Road", if it gets its ass handed to it by the vette?

I made that comment because there are many here and on other forums that continuously complain that "Ford could have made more HP stock in the Mustang if...", and "Ford will have to get the HP up in the Mustang if they're gonna compete with the new Camaro or Challenger", which is odd since they seem to be the same people that complain the SE's are too much money (which I agree with). But, in my earlier post, I stated, "We don't want to accept that we just can't have it both ways though".

There are many here that don't seem to remember that for years the Camaro out performed the Mustang, but the Mustang was the market leader because what they did bring to market was still exciting to drive and more affordable. It just seems so odd that Ford is bringing out these SE models whose business model seems to be the opposite of what has made the Mustang such a success story for them.

But your missing the point. Ford's "Special Edition" models have nothing special about them. That's why people complain. Who wants to pay 45K for a mustang gt that has shelby badges on their car? You can build a shelby gt replica out of your own gt for like $2K.

FORD's special edition mustangs are nothing at all. the gt500 was underperforming for a 500hp car, and now they come out with a KR that still is slower and worse handling than the competitors. even with 40 more horsepower and shorter gears, it still is barely faster than the C6 vette, and the ZO6 is even that much faster still.

If i am gonna spend the money the KR will end up going for, I am gonna buy an M5 or a E55 AMG or a viper. Those cars are all WAY better performers than the gt500.

But your missing the point. Ford's "Special Edition" models have nothing special about them. That's why people complain. Who wants to pay 45K for a mustang gt that has shelby badges on their car? You can build a shelby gt replica out of your own gt for like $2K.

FORD's special edition mustangs are nothing at all. the gt500 was underperforming for a 500hp car, and now they come out with a KR that still is slower and worse handling than the competitors. even with 40 more horsepower and shorter gears, it still is barely faster than the C6 vette, and the ZO6 is even that much faster still.

If i am gonna spend the money the KR will end up going for, I am gonna buy an M5 or a E55 AMG or a viper. Those cars are all WAY better performers than the gt500.

Name all the other 500+hp four seat cars you can buy for less than $50k......the GT500 is the only one out there. It's an amazing Grand Tourer for the money (MSRP or slightly higher, not $10,000+ over:nonono: ).

To buy a new E63 AMG or BMW M5 (which are GT cars as well) you are looking at over $80,000 for either....and there is no way you are getting the same HP from them that a GT500 could, without spending a lot more money. Plus both of those cars weigh much more than a GT500, so they're already at a disadvantage.

Even compared to the Z06 or Viper (which are true sports cars, not GT cars).......it's $20,000+ less at sticker. You can do a lot with that much cash left over. Basically you can make it a 9 second car (without even cracking open the engine) and upgrade the brakes, while still having $10,000 left over. That's pretty cool.