2009 Mustand Maintanence questions

viper3344

Jan 30, 2019
Florida
Hi all!

First time poster here.

I have a 2009 V6 Pony Premium Stang. Low miles, only 45K and it has been rock solid ever since I purchased it new almost 10 years ago. I have been doing oil changes and tire rotations on schedule (Always at a Ford dealership) and the only major repair made so far were new tires from them being about 7 years old at the time. I don't drive it very rough.

I had a check engine light come on around the same time as a scheduled oil change and the dealership told me this:

- Engine light was caused by the fuel purge valve. Needs replacing. Roughly $500 with parts and labor. (After taking it back to bring back at a later date, the check engine light never came back on)
- Said I needed a new fuel filter $150
- New brakes at around 400 for all 4 (This I figured I needed soon as hell, its been 10 years)
- Break line flushed.

Any input on these repairs? Car runs great and like I said, the check engine light has not come back on.

THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

On my 06 GT I go about 120,000 miles on my front brakes and 80,000 on the rear (Only car I've had that wears the back faster). 70% highway miles. It has been rock solid too. Alternator, Tie Rod Ends, Rear Wheel Bearings at around 200,000 miles (Each separated by maybe 10,000 miles). A couple blower motor resistors. Cam Follower and Lifter at around 220,000. I'm at 270,000 miles. Only bad thing I hear about the 6 cylinder cars is the thermostat housing starts to leak. It's an easy fix though. You should be able to keep that car going as long as you want to keep it.

Prices sound a touch high to me. I'd bet a good local mechanic would knock a big chunk off the cost. As far as dealer prices go, it is probably right in line. I don't know where the purge valve is, but that price sounds high to me. I'd be tempted to skip that for now if the light isn't coming back on.

It might be worth asking around for a good local mechanic and getting a second opinion on the work needed and the cost. If you find a good local mechanic they will almost always save you money and still keep the car in top shape.