2011 HID Color Question

Sparty92

Jul 30, 2007
Detroit Burbs
I have the HIDs on my 2011 GT. Love them.

Sometimes when I turn them on after the car has been sitting, the color starts out kinda yellow, then cools off to white-ish blue. This takes about 2 seconds.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do HIDs go yellow-ish if they are about to fail?

Also...sometimes when I hit a sharp bump, there is a VERY SLIGHT bounce in the light pattern. Is that normal too? I think they have the ability to move as they acquire initial focus, unlike a static "standard" bulb that's just a fixture to the light assembly.

Thanks!

Its not the bulbs cooling off, but heating up. All HIDs do that.

For the bump thing, you might want to go and check that they the bulb is mounted/seated right and its not loose. Wear gloves when you do it and dont touch the bulb itself. Make sure the lights have PLENTY of time to cool off too before touching stuff. If your unsure, just take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Bumper to bumper warranty should cover it

I know the bulbs are heating up when you turn it on, but the "color temperature"....going from yellow (warm) to white/blue (cool)..is what I see.

I will see what the dealer says about the tightness of the bulbs. And stand there while they work on the car.

It's normal and quick. Just a thing with the HID bulbs as they warm up. From what I have noticed it is just a quick flash of yellow before they go white. Hopefully that matches what yours are doing so you can write it off as normal =)

EDIT: Those buggers are bright arent they? I love em too

I think what I'm experiencing might be due to air temps (cold). When things warm up I'll test it again. Basically, they stay "yellow-ish" for up to 2 or so seconds before they go white/blue.

I have HIDs on my 11 Stang, had em on my S2000, and my Benz... They all did the same thing. Start yellow for a second or two, then turn blue/white. Its normal

Thank you for that clarification. Good to know.

I don't really use the fogs with the HIDs unless it's super dark or side street, etc. I usually start with the pimp lights, then go to fog lights, then to HIDs, then to fogs + HIDs for reasons mentioned above.

My HID's also have the very slight bounce over bumps. If the bulb wasn't seated properly the cutoff would look completely distorted as opposed to a clean line. The headlight housing is also securely mounted in place.

I'm going to say it's normal and nothing to be worried about.