Engine 2012 V6 3.7 Water Pump - What's The Trick?

eastexsteve

Nov 13, 2011
I already posted this in another forum, but discovered it would be more appropriate to post it here.

My water pump bit the dust at 144k miles, and I replaced it with a new Murray unit. The pump is easy to change and uses a metal gasket with a glued-on rubber seal on both sides. There is also a new O-ring in the pump that slides over a fitting on the block. The problem is, it leaks. I thought the metal/rubber gasket was bad, so I took the pump back for another one. The second one still leaks. There was no gasket residue to clean, but I made sure all surfaces were clean, dry, and undamaged. I was careful to tighten the bolts in a correct an even sequence. It still leaks from somewhere around the body of the pump, and not the shaft. This pump fits twenty different Ford models. Has someone out there successfully changed this pump? What did you do to keep it from leaking?

• Sponsors (?)

around the body ? is there a microcrack or a microgauge somewhere on the flanges? the seal design being double sided/reuseable could also be the cause. I did mine with black silicon sealer on both sides for safety
the check valve in the hose could also not where the tsb shows it, I think the one they show is for a f150, mine is in the return line from the top of the drivers side radiator tank running to the degas bottle under a metal clamp that holds it in place.

The TSB appears to say that air in the system will make the water pump leak. I fail to see how that is possible if the shaft seal and gasket are doing what they are supposed to do.

I'm like you with close to 50 years in dealerships an as a factory tech and a DSM for a German car company under my belt before retiring I have never heard of anything like what that tsb talks about. yet if not enough pressured builds up in the system it could possibly keep the seals from holding and a seepage from hole.

I already posted this in another forum, but discovered it would be more appropriate to post it here.

My water pump bit the dust at 144k miles, and I replaced it with a new Murray unit. The pump is easy to change and uses a metal gasket with a glued-on rubber seal on both sides. There is also a new O-ring in the pump that slides over a fitting on the block. The problem is, it leaks. I thought the metal/rubber gasket was bad, so I took the pump back for another one. The second one still leaks. There was no gasket residue to clean, but I made sure all surfaces were clean, dry, and undamaged. I was careful to tighten the bolts in a correct an even sequence. It still leaks from somewhere around the body of the pump, and not the shaft. This pump fits twenty different Ford models. Has someone out there successfully changed this pump? What did you do to keep it from leaking?

Hey there, I know this is a very late response but I found this thread because I'm actually having the same exact problem. I am about to return mine for another pump.. did you find out what the problem was in your situation?