Electrical 21 check engine light clicks?

Dat302

Apr 28, 2019
Puyallup, Wa
My 89 Fox 5.0 died one day awhile back and I still have not figured it out. When I reconnect the battery the check engine light blinks and clicks 21 times. I also checked the codes with a jumper wire and a code reader. The 2 codes that came up had nothing to do with not starting. Things I've tried. Check spark, check fuel, replaced distributor TFI module, plugs, cap and rooter. It was time for a tune up anyways. I just replaced the stock ignition module. The battery is week so I couldn't try it, but when I connected the battery after replacing it, still clicking.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Did you change the electrical part of the switch or the key part of the switch?

Ignition switch

What codes did you get? Unless you have a really good code chart, most of the answers are very generic, and not 5.0 Fox mustang specific.

Post the numeric code values for both key on, engine off and key on, engine running and I will give you 5.0 Fox mustang specific code definitions and fixes.

Did you change the electrical part of the switch or the key part of the switch?

Ignition switch

What codes did you get? Unless you have a really good code chart, most of the answers are very generic, and not 5.0 Fox mustang specific.

Post the numeric code values for both key on, engine off and key on, engine running and I will give you 5.0 Fox mustang specific code definitions and fixes.
I

Yes, I changed the factory original with a new one. Was hoping that was it. Have been chasing this since it just randomly died when my wife was driving. I will post the codes tomorrow. I forgot what they were.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, It has gas lol. My wife was driving and that's the first thing I asked and checked. She said before it died she smelled a chemically smell. Which sent me in the electrical direction. I have had the EEC out for a visual inspection and saw no burnt looking pieces. That said, I have not ruled it out the EEC.