255/45 on a 10.5" Wheel

I'm looking into purchasing a new set of wheels for my 00GT. 17x9's for the front and 17x10.5's for the rear. My existing Sumitomo HTR Z2 255/45 have good treadlife left. Just wondering if the 255/45 will be too narrow to fit on the 17x10.5" wheels?
Thanks for any input
Todd

• Sponsors (?)

Those tires are fairly cheap, just buy 315/35/17 from tirerack for $100 each.

And yes they will fit, but look like poo. Youll have a lof of exposed rim and have 0 protection from curbage.

Go with 17x9's all the way around, then you will get way more mileage
and even wear by rotating. Front tires always wear out faster. Unless
you do a lot of burnouts and need massive traction why get 10.5's, sure
they look cool, but you will pay a premium. Handling will be better in corners
with all 4 tires at 255/45. Another thing, if you go to sell the wheels someday
it would be easier if they are matched. One other option would be put
255' on front and 275's on back with all 9" wheels, then you would still get
the fat look.

Stang|ess said:
Price of 18" tires are crazy arent they? That's what's keeping me from buying them.

I wish i thought of price of 18" tires when i got my rim....

stangless said:
He wants to use 255 because that's what he has now, and wants to make the most of his tires.

Then he should just keep his rim he has now until they are bold. Let the tire smoking commence!!!!

Todd00GT1 said:
I already have those Sumi's on the stock wheels and they have at least half tread left. That's the only reason why I was asking. I saw an article in Modified Mustangs w/a feature car that had 255/55/16's on a 16x10 wheel.
Working in the tire business as an Apprentice Technician, Tire sales, and now working in the Service Dept at a dealership I can tell you a 255 tire will not fit on a 10 or even a 10.5 inch wheel correctly and safely.You can get it on, but it won't seat.