25th Anniversary Convertible

Knight66

Apr 13, 2016
I have an opportunity to buy an 89 mustang convertible with the 2.3 four cylinder. That picr is $3995. It looks pretty good, a few minor dings that can be easily fixed.

My question is, are these cars pretty dependable, and were there any common problems?

• Sponsors (?)

I have an opportunity to buy an 89 mustang convertible with the 2.3 four cylinder. That picr is $3995. It looks pretty good, a few minor dings that can be easily fixed.

My question is, are these cars pretty dependable, and were there any common problems?
Other than the fact that they randomly explode, and most of the occupants never make it out alive,.....they're OK I guess.

If you like Mustangs......

Seriously,....It's a 27 yr old car. Things are gonna need attention if they haven't had it already. Everything in the car (if it is in original condition) will need consideration. Depending on mileage, that may be more or less of a concern. The fact that it is a 2.3 impacts two of the most common first issues that come when you buy one though.

#1 More than likely, it's never seen a hard day in it's life when compared to it's V8 brother. Even if the P.O.s tried, they couldn't muster up enough torque to hurt the torque boxes (Which fails commonly in a V8 car).

#2 I'd say that unless your 4 banger is an absolutely gorgeous example, 3995 is too much money. Needs nothing, top is perfect, has no running issues, and nothing is missing and then maybe. But other wise,... it seems high.

Additionally:
Suspension bushings fail. Specifically the rear control arms, They dry rot and get sloppy, the car drives weird, it rattles, and/or you can move the rear end side to side when you shouldn't be able to when it's on a rack.

All of the stuff like starters, water pumps, alternators if original are one of the things you should expect will fail. Master cylinders fill with crud, and need replacing because the car wont stop anymore, interior pieces rattle because the P.O. never put back all of the screws,..All of this stuff easily remedied on a FOX, but if you expect it, you'll be less disappointed when/if it does.

Read this:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/the-hoopty-v2-0.879126/

This story is about a guy that thought he was buying a reliable car.

Ohh, and plan on a little extra time getting anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For a 2.3 4 banger, like @madmike1157 said, unless it's absolutely pristine I'd offer 2k tops and go down from there if it needs things like interior, top, tires, or has rust issues. I'd say the 4 cylinder vert is the least valuable of all the foxes (for the most part in most major markets).

I agree it's overpriced a lot. Also, the fact that it's a 25th Anniv. adds nothing to it as well. I actually forgot mine was a 25th until I read your thread title. 4cyl Mustangs can be reliable if somebody has put the time into already and are actually popular commuters in my area.

The issues I've noticed so far have been the drivers door needs to be adjusted, some of the interior pieces need to be dyed or replaced. The top looks good, the car overall is pretty straight. I've not bought it yet, going to check it out later.

There is no 25th anniversary model. The dash badge says "25 years". That's all. No value add.

But $4K for a 27 year old 2.3L?? That car would need to be in pristine condition to be worth that much.

Reactions: 1 users
Pics of the car.

I can never understand why it is that folks post value questions on the internet without pictures of it. Interior, exterior, engine bay, sound clip of it running, and any mx records you might have.

That car sounds like a real champion. Easily a $10k car by your description.

/sarcasm

post pics

There's a 4-banget vert, GT-350 just down the road from me. Still has shipping wrap on it. What's that one worth? :shrug:

Pics of the car.

I can never understand why it that folks post value questions on the internet without pictures of it. Interior, exterior, engine bay, sound clip of it running, and any mx records you might have.

/sarcasm

post pics

There's a 4-banget vert, GT-350 just down the road from me. Still has shipping wrap on it. What's that one worth? :shrug:
I don't recall asking what the car was worth, I asked if there were any common problems with these cars. I'm not asking for value.

Well the common problem is the 2.3L.

All joking aside. The 2.3L engine is fine, just make sure the timing belt is replaced when needed. The automatics (A4LD) on the 2.3L was rather weak as well, even considering the 88HP the engine put out.

Other than that, pretty solid car and reliable, which is why you still see them driving along 27 years later.

Reactions: 1 user
Pics of the car.

I can never understand why it is that folks post value questions on the internet without pictures of it. Interior, exterior, engine bay, sound clip of it running, and any mx records you might have.

/sarcasm

post pics

You really need to learn how to read and actually comprehend. Take your medication!

For the record, any car in shrink wrap is worth at least two fiddy. Maybe three fiddy if the wrap hasn't yellowed.

Reactions: 1 users
I have an 89 vert, some issues

the top frame cuts the top in this particular year due to a frame design flaw

the mirror hates to stay glued on the windshield

the drivers seat will most likely have gangster lean

the sun visors will rust to their posts and break rather than flip down due to getting wet

the roof leaks at the a-pillars

What everyone else said

I didn't get it. I thought about it, and decided against it. I wound up with a 2001 convertible. Bought it this morning for $4300, and I love it already. The 2004 I posted on another thread I passed on it too. My heart was set on a ragtop Mustang, and I believe I got a good one. I'm happy with it, anyway. That's what matters.

Pics of the car.

/sarcasm

post pics

Jackass much?