289 engine horse power estimate

jtgb428

Nov 30, 2007
jim here. 1st things 1st, this is not a hipo engine. can you guys give me a rough estimate on the hp of my 289 engine. it has a edelbrock rpm intake, 750 holley, comp cam extreme energy cam, msd distributor, 1969 351 c9 windsor heads that are ported and polished, 194 intake valves, milled down to a 56cc combustion chambers, tci c4 with a 2200-2500 stall converter. thanks, jim.

• Sponsors (?)

There are shareware programs that can be found on the internet that can estimate your HP. You will need the specs from your cam-card, these can be found online at the manufacturers site. Also all other specs will need to be entered. The programs usually get you close to what real power is. I have a 302 w/ a similar setup and the desktop dyno and it had put the power in the 300s but this was about ten years ago and the engine was built in the early 90s and was pretty hot then.

depending on which extreme energy cam you have, i would say between 260 and 290hp. the heads are what is holding the engine back. pop for a set of windsor jr or similar sized heads and you can add another 40hp.