289 hipo heads vs. 302 heads

Makdaddymac

May 28, 2005
orlando
simple would ther be any advantage of taking some oldschool 289 factory "hipo" heads in replace of my 91's 302 stockies.I have somone caliming the 289 heads have bigger ports or some ****, but i cant find any info.....

• Sponsors (?)

headgrinder said:
The 289 hi po heads are the same as stock 289 except they have screw in studs. valve size port size all the same.

the hipo heads also have cast in spring pockets as well.

between the 91 302 heads, and the early hipo 289 heads, you are going to have an increase in compression ratio with the hipo heads, but you will lose the high swirl combustion chambers from the 302 heads. the likely net change in hp going from one to the other will be very close to zero.

Sell the HiPo heads to a HiPo owner owner needing originals and use that money for some AFR's or something similar. Good HiPo heads (original true versions) are worth quite a bit.

I have a pair of original date sequence HiPo heads that have the exhaust opened up and they worked well back in the day but any aftermarket heads are much better performance wise, especially aluminum to save the weight.

My 2 cents..

-Stephen

Don't the highpo heads also have cast in guide plates ? I've got a friend who used to circle track race back in the 70s-80s. He used those heads. He still holds the speed record for his class at I think its Saugus speedway. Those heads can rev high as all hell, I know that for sure. He use to run them over 7200 during the race all day, consistantly using nothing but factory parts. Are they a good head ? Yes. They have a lot of potential. Do you want to put the work into it to make them perform ? That is your decision.

The newer heads are better, unless you're going to run 60s gas in your car. The new stuff runs on 87 octane all day.

GT40s are another big step up from the E7s that you have now. According to the info I have, GT40s were worth 30 hp over the E7s on a 90s 302. Of course your results will vary depending on the rest of your engine components.

By todays standard the 289 hi-po isn't all that powerful. It's just a very desireable low production car that we would all like to have. I agree with everybody else. If you have the hi-po heads sell them and buy aftermarkert heads. Even the early 351 W heads will out perform them.