289 to 302 engine swap

I killed my 289, not my fault, but anyway, I ordered a 302 custom made for me, pretty nice, what is common between the two, what can I switch over and does anyone know a site I can find the info, do I need a new bell housing or anything of the sort? It should fit my C4 with no problem, but is there anything else that needs to be changed out. Help I need....

• Sponsors (?)

The only difference between a 67 289 block and a later ( depending on how much later) 302/5.0 block, are the 78-up 302's lack the clutch pivot hole, and the 82-up have an dipstick hole in the lower left side of the block. All other bolt holes are the same. You will need to also check to see what balance factor the 302 is built for ( 28oz vs 50 oz)

jst6 said:
all you need to do is swap the torque converter from the 24 spline to a 26 spline unit and you shoule be all set, at least that's what i've read.
Sorry, but what you've read is wrong. The spline count for the torque converter has no bearing on a 289-302 swap. Also a 289 fuel pump eccentric will fit inside a 302 timing cover, the difference between a 2 piece and one piece eccentric, is the 2 piece has it's own tab to engage the cam, the 2 piece needs a long pin thru the timing gear to drive it.

D.Hearne said:
Sorry, but what you've read is wrong. The spline count for the torque converter has no bearing on a 289-302 swap. Also a 289 fuel pump eccentric will fit inside a 302 timing cover, the difference between a 2 piece and one piece eccentric, is the 2 piece has it's own tab to engage the cam, the 2 piece needs a long pin thru the timing gear to drive it.

i put the lonnger pin in a cam by accident so i used the one piece pump eccentric it rubbed and the aluminum shavings got past the oil filter and ruined the bearings

ashford said:
i put the lonnger pin in a cam by accident so i used the one piece pump eccentric it rubbed and the aluminum shavings got past the oil filter and ruined the bearings

There are two one piece eccentrics. One is thinner than the other elsewise the same. The two piece has a tab for engaging the timing gear without need for a pin.

Check clearance by looking in fuel pump boss before putting in fuel pump. The eccentric is easy to see and if it bumps the cover, this is the time to discover it and not after the engine is started. You can also use a piece of clay to examine the clearance if the timing cover is not yet installed.

5.0L engine uses block pins to align the late timing cover. If installing the early timing cover, these pins need to be removed from the 5.0L block. Align cover using crankshaft and fit the harmonic temporarily. Let the timing cover float on the harmonic then insert and tighten appropriate timing cover bolts. This will give a good alignment on the crankshaft seal helping to ensure against future oil leakage. More important because you'll likely be using 5w-30 oil.