289 to Explorer 5.0 Fuel Injection

I currently have a 1966 mustang with a 4spd, 289, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb, Edelbrock performer rpm intake, and hooker long tube headers, full 2.5" exhaust. Aside from this, the motor is stock and in decent condition. It does run OK but is by no means fast.

Over the weekend, I received an Upper/Lower 5.0 intake manifold complete with all injectors, fuel rails, wiring harness, computer, etc from a 1996 Explorer for FREE.

These parts were intended for an early Bronco with a 302, but the Bronco was sold and my good friend gave me the parts.

I know this topic has been beat to death on the internet and on this site. What I'm looking for is any additional tips / tricks that anyone may have as well as their favorite (informative) links to these types of swaps. This is case where there is actually too much information to weed through.

I already know that I am going to need the following items:

Wiring harness cleaned up for early car
Late model Ford distributor and coil
Fuel pump with return lines plumbed
O2 Sensors bungs welded in headers and O2 Sensors

Will the current cam and firing order work? Water pump and radiator?

Any help you guys can offer will be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I read that the Explorer 5.0 has a different firing order than the 289 and would run a little rough at idle due to this. The consensus seemed to be that once the rev's started to come up, the motor would run better and smooth out.

I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on getting the 289 to work as I'd like to put that money into a new, more modern 5.0 engine down the road. From what I've read, it sounds like I'll be able to make it work.

The Explorer uses 2 coil packs instead of a dizzy. They have a cam sensor in place of the dizzy. The PCM fires the injectors based on the cam sensor so the 289 will need to have the explorer's firing order or the injectors will be out of time. The ignition is run from the crank sensor so you will need to mount one somehow. The easiest way I can think of will be to swap the timing cover for a explorer cover and balancer. You could prob use a F-150 cover and balancer but the balancer's tone ring will have to match the Explorer's to have correct timing. Then you will run into balance issues with the 289 and newer balancer. Too bad you didn't get the rest of the explorer engine, would have made the swap a lot easier.

He could just use the upper and lower intake/fuel rails and use a 87-93 Mustang ECU and wiring.

Exactly what I plan on doing. I'm looking at picking up and A9L ecu (1991-1993 manual trans 5.0 mustang) and using the ONLY the explorer manifold and injectors. I will be buying a 5.0 distributor and coil to work with the ecu along with modifying (or buying) a new harness that has been "trimmed" for a classic.

Hopefully I can sell off some of the Explorer parts to fund the new stuff.

Thanks for the replies everyone.:flag:

He could just use the upper and lower intake/fuel rails and use a 87-93 Mustang ECU and wiring.

He can't use this on his 289 unless he switches to the HO cam. The idle will be poor. all 87-93 mustangs had the HO (351w) firing order. Your best bet is to just buy a new cam for the 289 with the HO firing order then you can do that above. I know this because I'm currently putting a 5.0 with EFI in my Mustang and have been researching the heck out of it. go to Ford Fuel Injection and read up. Great articles there.

They are GT40Ps and have the funny spark plug angle which makes headers a pain.

BTW, you can do it and make it idle right, you just have to swap the injectors to fool the motor into injecting the 351w firing order into the 289 firing order cylinders. Basically you just plug into the "wrong" injector.

They are GT40Ps and have the funny spark plug angle which makes headers a pain.

BTW, you can do it and make it idle right, you just have to swap the injectors to fool the motor into injecting the 351w firing order into the 289 firing order cylinders. Basically you just plug into the "wrong" injector.

This is correct. You will just have to make a few injector wires longer to reach, but it works.

I read swapping the injector wiring around was a bad idea due to the O2 sensors getting unexpected (rich or lean) readings from the cylinder banks. Basically, an injector will fire, but the O2 sensor won't see the burned fuel due to it being on the wrong bank for some of the cylinders.

I'm thinking the best route now is to see if I can find a decent used (to keep costs down) 5.0 long block out of a 5.0 or explorer.