289 to t5 pressure plate/clutch/flywheel questions

Hi All,
I am building a 289 and I have a t5 transmission with a 1986-1993 Mustang bell housing. My friend gave me his 65 Mustang, stock pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel from his 289 with an original manual trans. When I tried fitting the pressure plate and clutch onto the input shaft of the trans, (with the bell bolted on and throwout bearing and fork on), the clutch did not fit all the way on the threads and the PP hit the sides of the bell. I am assuming this is because the bell is from the later mustangs so it doesn't work with the 4 finger PP. I want to keep the 157T 28oz flywheel but I don't know what clutch and pressure plate will work with this setup. If anyone can help me out that would be great. I am also on a budget so the cheaper options are better for me. Is it also possible that the pivot ball is too far out? Meaning I would need a shorter one? The one I have is 2 inches long. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Would either of these setups work?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700820 or https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700814

• Sponsors (?)

will need matching plate, fork and disk to match bell
check your flywheel to see if you need the 10.5 clutch disk plate or the 10 clutch
I think they switched from 10 in 85 to 10.5 86

none of the 65 trans stuff is gonna work with the t5

Reactions: 1 user
It think it comes down to the 84 mustang 10 inch diaphragm pressure plate being thinner than the 65 3 finger plate.
Its been a while but that is how my 65 is set up, disk would be the same for both.

will need fork to match bell and in 65 mechanical linkage pushed fork toward rear of car, 84 cable pulls fork forward.
I did the modern driveline cable conversion and been very happy with it, most say use hydraulic, linkage. Depends on exhaust/header choices.

Reactions: 1 user
The short answer is that you should use the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel that goes with the bellhousing you are using. Look at it this way: a stock 289 clutch is not great anyway, you aren't losing out on much using a newer model....clutch components are cheap anyway if you buy from a local clutch supplier instead of one of the big internet guys. It costs me about $30 for a clutch disc down at TN Clutch and Supply...maybe $40 for a pressure plate. In the end though, the whole clutch setup should be designed around the engine power output, vehicle weight, and considerations like headers.

Reactions: 1 users