2nd battery?

Thebluefox1

Jun 28, 2022
Pasadena
Hello I need guiding, I sometimes want to clean the car and what not but I want to listen to music but I don’t want the car to be on and wasting gas would y’all recommend getting a bigger battery or adding a second one just so that I don’t risk completely discharging the car

• Sponsors (?)

I listen to music in my car everyday in the parking lot of work for 10 to 15 minutes with the engine off and no problems.

To run 2 batteries you'll need a battery isolator. I used to run 2 batteries. One for a huge system and one just to start the car. It worked well. When parked and cranking it up I'd disconnect the starting battery. Reconnect to start.

May I know the size of you battery and is it a agm? Thanks

Just a interstate from costco, the group that fits. The one before this one lasted five years.

Attachments

• IMG_20221013_090422.jpg
    IMG_20221013_090422.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: 1 users
I must have the same ignition situation as Bluefox. If I have my radio on in my Fox my car wont start after ten minutes. Good battery and all. It just kills the battery dead fast. I am going to set up a wire directly to my battery because it has something to do with other stuff going through the key

if you have a DMM that will do amps DC, you should see what current you are pulling at rest, and with the radio on.

If you know that number you can estimate how long a battery will last before voltage levels get critical

Reactions: 1 users
I must have the same ignition situation as Bluefox. If I have my radio on in my Fox my car wont start after ten minutes. Good battery and all. It just kills the battery dead fast. I am going to set up a wire directly to my battery because it has something to do with other stuff going through the key

I do have the 3G upgrade.

I had two 10s , four 3 way 6.5 door speakers, two 3.5 dash speakers, four regular tweeters, two horn tweeters, two 3way 6 by 9s, and two 2000 watt amps. Never timed how long it would play without the engine running. The 2 battery thing actually started when I moved my battery to the trunk. I'd have a slow crank issue. Found out later my cables were too small and ground side wasn't right. That was a long time ago. Fixed the wiring issue and went back to one battery years later. Newer sound systems use small batteries to cushion the shock from battery discharge instead of the capacitors we used to use back in the day. This isn't your issue but thought I'd clarify.

All newer cars with the annoying start / stop feature run two batteries. There's a smaller auxiliary battery hidden somewhere. It's small and looks like the battery in most jump boxes.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a Viking 4 amp smart charger for multiple types of batteries with float charge too ..It also comes with a pigtail to hook to the battery that you can use to quickly connect and disconnect the charger...Its the fastest and easiest fix for your question...

I keep mine under the hood hooked to my batteries in vehicles that sit alot and for those I use the 1.25 amp Battery tender float chargers by Deltran and I also have a couple from Harbor freight too for my scooters and motorcycles..

Good Luck

IMG_20201110_134453334.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have a Viking 4 amp smart charger for multiple types of batteries with float charge too ..It also comes with a pigtail to hook to the battery that you can use to quickly connect and disconnect the charger...Its the fastest and easiest fix for your question...

I keep mine under the hood hooked to my batteries in vehicles that sit alot and for those I use the 1.25 amp Battery tender float chargers by Deltran and I also have a couple from Harbor freight too for my scooters and motorcycles..

Good Luck

IMG_20201110_134453334.jpg
Those 'battery tender' type maintainers are worth it to use, a good example is the 'brand x' truck we have with a stock 6volt charging system (1953 chevy) that is rarely driven, that battery lasted over 6 years, 6 volt battery, 6 years!! Unheard of.