Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

• Sponsors (?)

I’ve debated painting that chrome tube to black. Maybe that’s the way to go
DO NOT paint a plated part.
There are too many color conflicts, and not enough attention to detail. The red intake is getting lost in all of the blase'.
The orange couplers are wrong, the weird color plug wires, the unpainted stuff like the strut mounts all force the eye to focus on the one shiny piece under the hood. Get black couplers and plug wires. Add a shiny bit or machined part like strut mounts ( or paint them)

Reactions: 1 users
DO NOT paint a plated part.
There are too many color conflicts, and not enough attention to detail. The red intake is getting lost in all of the blase'.
The orange couplers are wrong, the weird color plug wires, the unpainted stuff like the strut mounts all force the eye to focus on the one shiny piece under the hood. Get black couplers and plug wires. Add a shiny bit or machined part like strut mounts ( or paint them)
Yeah, there’s a way to go in there. The couplers look orange in the picture but they are red, although not the shade I expected when I ordered..... but better than the blue that was completely out of place.
Painting those strut mounts has been on the list.... just haven’t gotten there yet.

So, as I suspected, Rock Auto sent me a sending unit for an 87 and up Fox. Replaced the sending unit with the correct one from LMR and gauge works perfectly.
I ohmed out the Rock Auto, and it was pretty much on spec for the 87 and up. Now let’s see how they’re customer service does with this one since I bought it quite a while ago!
image.jpg

I also replaced my serpentine belt with the 73” for no smog or AC, with PS relocate, and although my tension is now within range, I think I should go even smaller, as the belt is just about touching the other side where the tensioner pushes it down. Maybe one of these pulleys is not original. I think I’ll exchange for a 72” and see where that gets me.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Went with the 72” this morning. Seemed ok when I put it on, but once I started it, belts are touching. Theirs to get a 71.5 also but they were out.
Going to pick up that and a 71, and this should be fixed!

First installed
AC692F37-A63A-4E0E-9C32-441E6F121F7F.jpeg

Running
628A81E2-C88D-4F99-93D9-47D12461DDB5.jpeg

This routing worked with a 75” that I had. The belt is nowhere close to hitting itself, but I’m back to slightly out of range on the tensioner dial (on the loose side). I think a 74”, with that routing, will get me right where I need to be.

Stuck in the garage today while this tropical storm rolls through so I decided to mess with this belt again. I had purchased a 73.5 on clearance from Rock Auto quite a while ago, but with the other routing I was using, it wouldn’t go. This time I removed the alternator bolt, got the 73.5” belt on with the other routing option, and then with a pry bar, was able to get the alternator back in position to reinstall the bolt (could not get the belt around the pulley without doing that).
Anyway, tensioner is in range (on the tight side), so I’m thinking once it runs a little and the belt loosens/stretches, it’ll be right in the middle of the marks!
And I’ll get $20 back in my pocket when I return this 72” back to AutoZone! Win win!

Now that master cylinder could use some love.
Just say'n

Yeah I know, but that’s part of the 5 lug/ new wheels that will hopefully happen this winter (fingers crossed). So not sweatin’ that right now.

Edit: but then again maybe I’ll just paint it black too, so it disappears for now.

Last edited:
So after Rock Auto sent me a wrong sending unit for the gas tank, and I got the right one from LMR, all is good with that (if you’ve read my other thread about that).
Today I got my store credit from RA, so I’m cool with that, and nice job to them for taking care of me.
They list the same part # for all years of EFI mustangs, even though some years need the one with with different resistance readings. Hopefully my issue gets them to correct their catalog!!
Anyway, took that store credit and put it right back on rear rotors for the 5lug swap. More parts for the collection. I’m determined to get this done this winter. Hopefully the CFO (chief financial officer- aka wife) goes along with the program!
I don’t need a whole lot more, but what I need isn’t cheap (axles, NRC brackets, front struts, springs, etc)
Come hell or high water, Nov 1st this thing is getting torn apart, and will come out in spring 2021 with brand new stance/wheels/tires etc!
Fingers and toes crossed!

Reactions: 2 users
After a lot of trial and error, it seems that the 73.5 belt, with the routing I used, ended up being just right. It was tough to get the belt on at first, but it seems that was the one!
F90A6BCE-512A-45D6-9263-25CEFD2778F5.jpeg

Nice !
Not trying to be a jerk but have done quite a bit of electrical work over the years, looks like the outlet behind the work bench and
the "LB" dropping down to the fridge outlet are done in PVC.
For safety reasons it's best to use metallic tubing in a garage environment, EMT is a good choice for a residential garage.
Only because PVC can be cracked/broken fairly easily if hit ( potential short hazard ) , especially when cold.
Again not trying to be annoying just some advise, Lord knows I could always use some.