2oo1 mustang gt engine swap

biglar

Aug 21, 2007
pine beach nj
Hi guys my sons 2001 4.6 2 valve motor just threw a rod and were looking to replace the motor with one from a local place here. They have a 1999 2 valve 4.6 for sale. Is this the same motor as the 2001? and what years are interchangeable. His car currently is a 2001 mustang gt 4.6 2 valve motor w/ a 5 speed trans. Any advise on installing and motor swapping will be greatly appreiciated!!. Im a 5.0 guy and have never done any mod motor work. Thanks guys and btw he only has 2000.00 to spend

Big Lar

• Sponsors (?)

no i believe the 99-00 blocks were made in the windsor plant while the 01-04 were made in romeo, there is a slight difference and may need some modification. Im not 100% on this but i read about this awhile ago.

Hi guys my sons 2001 4.6 2 valve motor just threw a rod and were looking to replace the motor with one from a local place here. They have a 1999 2 valve 4.6 for sale. Is this the same motor as the 2001? and what years are interchangeable. His car currently is a 2001 mustang gt 4.6 2 valve motor w/ a 5 speed trans. Any advise on installing and motor swapping will be greatly appreiciated!!. Im a 5.0 guy and have never done any mod motor work. Thanks guys and btw he only has 2000.00 to spend

Big Lar

You should just rebuild the engine with forged pistons/rods/crank. Do it right the first time or don't do it at all :nice:

If you use the older 4.6L motor, it will work. You just can't take parts from one to the other, because of subtle differences. When you do the swap, make sure you use your original intake manifold because it is the updated style.