WTB/Trade 3.7 V6 and MT82 Manual Trans

Hi,
I am shopping for a Mustang 3.7 V6 and 6 speed manual trans. Would like a complete engine including bolt on accessories and the MT82 manual trans. I am thinking someone out there has replaced the 3.7 with a V8 and just might have these parts taking up space in the garage. Please pm me or better yet email. Thanks

[email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

Don't want a V8. My need is for a modern V6 that is smaller and lightweight. The 60 degree aluminum 3.7 is a great candidate for what I have in mind.
He's saying nobody V8 swaps newer Mustangs. Once you get to the 2005 model year, there's zero chance of it being cost effective. CAN-BUS, emissions laws, the sheer number of differences between the cars, etc make it very prohibitive. By the time you're done addressing all the issues attempting a swap brings with it on the modern cars, you're better off just buying the V8 car.

If you want a 3.7, you'll probably need to hit up a salvage yard like @Noobz347 said.

I am sure few people swap V8 for V8 in newer mustangs. The V6 was discontinued for Mustang in 2014. Ford made such notable progress in developing modern technology for its new V8's that they really set a new benchmark for Chevrolet and Chrysler. That is one of the things I admire most about Ford, their willingness to innovate and take risks that other car companies don't. And they succeed.

I am not swapping a V6 for a V8 and I don't know why that was the assumption. I will be swapping the V6 into a car that presently has a turbo'd 4 cylinder. The 3.7 weighs just 100 pounds more than stock and has 305hp, normally aspirated. The present engine has a whopping 152-200hp even with the turbo. The 3.7 is light and narrow due to the 60 degree configuration and can easily be modded with a turbo to yield aver 400hp. Some guys have taken it up to 600hp.

I am sure few people swap V8 for V8 in newer mustangs. The V6 was discontinued for Mustang in 2014. Ford made such notable progress in developing modern technology for its new V8's that they really set a new benchmark for Chevrolet and Chrysler. That is one of the things I admire most about Ford, their willingness to innovate and take risks that other car companies don't. And they succeed.

I am not swapping a V6 for a V8 and I don't know why that was the assumption. I will be swapping the V6 into a car that presently has a turbo'd 4 cylinder. The 3.7 weighs just 100 pounds more than stock and has 305hp, normally aspirated. The present engine has a whopping 152-200hp even with the turbo. The 3.7 is light and narrow due to the 60 degree configuration and can easily be modded with a turbo to yield aver 400hp. Some guys have taken it up to 600hp.

1. Nobody made the assumption you wanted a V8. Go re-read the previous posts.

2. Seriously, the logistical nightmares that come with powertrain swapping modern cars, especially Fords, mean that there is virtually zero swapping being done these days outside of race cars. Even then, a 3.7 car is a worse foundation than the 5.0 cars in several ways.

3. I know what a 3.7 is capable of. A co-worker had a Roush 3.7 Mustang with a blower, even with an autotragic and a relatively conservative tune it was at 420rwhp. It's a great engine in it's RWD form, if woefully mis-tuned in the F150, and a time bomb in it's FWD form.

4. Ford didn't innovate a damned thing with their newest V8s. The Godzilla is a step backward (although GLORIOUS in its execution), and everything about the Coyote and Voodoo had been done before by the Asians and/or Europeans.

5. The 3.7L wasn't discontinued in Mustangs until after the 2017 model year.

If you want a 3.7, check with salvage yards, or see if you can snag a whole wrecked car on Copart's website for cheap. The odds of finding the one unlikely person crazy enough to tackle a 3.7-to-V8 swap to buy their old powertrain from is virtually zero.

Last edited:
You'll have better luck searching Copart or an auto recycler and buying the entire wrecked car and parting out what you don't need and keeping what you do need. People really aren't doing engine swaps on the newer Mustang's just yet. Most cost effective to sell the 3.7L and buy a v8.

Along with the engine you'll need the wiring harnesses as well as the PCM and other items that would be tricky to track down separately. The 3.7L is direct injected so not sure if any of the aftermarket ECU's are offering support for that yet.

Hi,
I am shopping for a Mustang 3.7 V6 and 6 speed manual trans. Would like a complete engine including bolt on accessories and the MT82 manual trans. I am thinking someone out there has replaced the 3.7 with a V8 and just might have these parts taking up space in the garage. Please pm me or better yet email. Thanks

[email protected]
I just saw your thread and I realize it's quite old. I did have exactly what you're looking for but I sold the complete engine. I do still have an MT82 6 speed manual transmission with less than 10K miles on it. I also have lightweight flywheel/clutch set up for the 3.7L V6 as well.

If you're still in need of a transmission, send me a PM and we'll work it out.

Thanks,
John

I just saw your thread and I realize it's quite old. I did have exactly what you're looking for but I sold the complete engine. I do still have an MT82 6 speed manual transmission with less than 10K miles on it. I also have lightweight flywheel/clutch set up for the 3.7L V6 as well.

If you're still in need of a transmission, send me a PM and we'll work it out.

Thanks,
John
John,
Do you still have the MT82 to fit 3.7L V6? I can't figure out how to PM you on this site. I am interested. Please email me at: [email protected]

Thanks!
Randy