• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

3.73 gears & speed

  • Thread starter Thread starter faspony
  • Start date Start date Oct 5, 2010
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
M

mjk

Member
Jun 22, 2006
87
0
17
NE IL
Nov 9, 2010
#21
  • Nov 9, 2010
  • #21
If I was going to do it all over I'd skip the gear and go straight to blower. This spring i'll be going from 410s to 373s to regain some traction and widen the gears so i shift less. The car feels great, but with 350wtq at 2700rpm My 18" mickeys spin a lot. I picked up a gently used blower for 3k, w/o labor. I could go to as 15" rim with tall ETs, but handling would suck even worse, and I am only willing to sacrifice so much of it. What I'm Im trying to say is that if there are any plans for FI in your future, I suggest you stick with 3.55s and throw on some 265/40/18s MT ET to drop the affective ratio via tires.

I'm not anti gear, just depends on what the future holds...
 

Jester67

Member
Sep 21, 2004
908
1
18
TN
Nov 10, 2010
#22
  • Nov 10, 2010
  • #22
I would not let the dealer install the gears I would look for a speed shop. The dealer does not do a lot of gear swaps and a speed shop should be doing these all the time and it takes some skills to setup gears that will not wine and give you good service life.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
M
4.10 gears = 200,000 miles ?
  • michaelleewebb
  • Apr 1, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
301
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Apr 2, 2026
michaelleewebb
M
3
B&m hammer shifter c4 question
  • 387lx
  • Mar 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
353
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 19, 2026
387lx
3
Ignition Question
  • WantAn88GT
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
184
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
WantAn88GT
Brake pad and rotor upgrade
  • Sparky714
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
481
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 17, 2026
Sparky714
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?