3.8 TO A 5.0

KisStang

Apr 2, 2006
Naperville IL
Yesterday i won a 98' mustang, 3.8 ltr V6. However i want a mustang with a real engine in it so my intentions are to drop a carbureted 5.0 into it. its got a aggressive cam and high compression pistons so it has some get up and go. the transmission will bolt straight on (so ive been told) and the only problem is that if I no longer have fuel injection, there is no computer to send info to the auto transmission. So I need a way to 1 control the trany by itself (for cheap) or two, turn it into a mechanically controlled system. Any info on this would be great. Also is the rear end in this thing a 8.8? God I hope so. THANKS

• Sponsors (?)

sell it and buy a 5.0 would be the best way. I think your rearend is a 7.5 and it would be best to drop in a fuel injected from a fox and swap out the computer with harness. Find a 89-93 with mass air one that is wrecked for cheap and then you have every thing you need and you will have the rearend and use your axels so you still have the 5 lug.

I have a older 5.0 mag with the swap and they went into every detail even tell you part #'s. they said it was best to find a complete as possible donner car. (I was going to do the swap but I sold the 95 and bought the 88 GT)

I can barely see your avatar. Did you win it in one of those contests where you have to keep your hands on the car? I saw something like that on the TV show Third Watch. They had to stand and it was for a HD F-150. I didn't know they really did stuff like that.

how i got my stang

[QUOTE='66 coupe]I can barely see your avatar. Did you win it in one of those contests where you have to keep your hands on the car? I saw something like that on the TV show Third Watch. They had to stand and it was for a HD F-150. I didn't know they really did stuff like that.[/QUOTE]

ya i won a contest but it was a "kiss off" i had to kiss the car. i went for 15 hrs. during the last 3 hrs i had to stand on one leg with my hands above my head and still kiss the car without touching it with anything else. the entire story is here, http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=626844 15 hrs for a 98 mustang ... not bad in my book

That's crazy. Congrats.:nice:
I liked the sign your roommate made.

I have that 5.0 Mustang issue right in front of me(May 2000), cause my roommate bought a '94 that we'll be doing the swap on in the (probably distant) future.

The complete parts # list is:

Mass air conversion
(Auto): M-9000-B50
(Manual): M-9000-B50
Main Harness: M-12071-C302
Sensor and Relay package: M-12701-D302
Universal Safety Clutch Housing: M-6392-C

They had a 5-speed car. They didn't mention anything about the rearend, or suspension.

It's a 7.5" rear.

I beleive the AODE will bolt up as the 3.8 and 5.0 share the same block bolt pattern. Unsure how to keep it computer controlled though.

Nice job on winning the car. I dunno if i could have gone that long. Interesting contest though.