3.9L 2004 V6 Stang

• Sponsors (?)

3.9stang said:
I have a 40th year anniversary edition dark grey mustang. It is stock and I want to make it faster... what should I do if I am on a low budget?

I'm in a 2000 v6 (my '99 civic was crushed :owned: ) and I'm looking to add a little pep as well.

From the posts I've found - the first few things to do are intake, exhaust, or gears. I'm still learning (and saving) but I'm sure someone will elaborate :nice:

3.9stang said:
I have a 40th year anniversary edition dark grey mustang. It is stock and I want to make it faster... what should I do if I am on a low budget?

Your question is answered dozens of times on these boards, everyone wants to know how to get a little extra "umph" outta their V6er with low cost. First off, High Performance goes hand in hand with High Cost..very unfortunate.

But for the basics..

Get a cold air intake- its not going to push you to your seat with force, but invest in a fairly decent intake. Some people buy the "Ebay Special" no name and they say the product is great..I personally would rather spend the extra cash and get something from a familier company, it just looks more professional under the hood.

Dual Exhaust can be done two differant ways. You can get a catback for the V6 that will attach right to your Y pipe, or you can get an Hpip to replace your Y pipe and use any GT cat back kit. The benefit in that is your getting less restriction.

Maybe a larger throttle body, if you think its worth it.

Make both wheels peel with a trac-loc in the back. Give your car posi.

With the trac-loc you could toss in some bigger gears..3.73 or 4.10..keep in mind it'll hurt yout wallet at the pump if you go with big gears, definently does nothing to help with gas milage.

DO NOT put any form of "R Racing" stickers..its a lie, gawdy stickers do not add HP..and neither do coffee cans for mufflers.

Keep some of that stuff in mind, and good luck.

The above post basically says it all ... my 99 has the flowmaster dual exhaust kit, 3.73 gears with tracloc, MAC cold air kit with k/n, and it is lowered 2" ... this is all im really going to do to it ... it looks good, sounds awesome, gets good mileage and the gears and trac loc make it a lot of fun to drive as a daily driver.

Intake ($50 on ebay, $180 for namebrand) will yield some gains, more torque than horsepower really, dual exhaust ($400 for 2.5" manderal bent, $150 for a GT-takeoff system and $100 for your system to be modified to work with it) is the best upgrade from stock for "bolt ons", an Underdrive pully ($155-180) is good and gains are better than an intake, but if you have a high output stereo you would need an altenator overdrive pulley ($30). Gears and T-Lok will really give good gains, about 1/4 to 1/2 a second off a quarter mile, but the costs can get upto $600-1000 depending on if you can install it yourself and how cheap you can get the speedometer fixed.
Don't bother with a throttle body, because it is the largest the stock setup can possibly use even under perfect ideal conditions. In order to go larger, you would need to port match the manifolds and heads to work.