3 valve head swap

JohnyD05

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
Massachusetts
I know ford is putting the 3 valve motor in the new GT's. What do u guys thing about the possibility of there being a 3 valve head swap like they do now with the PI heads on 96-98 cars. why doesn't ford sell these damn heads through frpp or someone? It should be a pretty simple swap considering you are sticking with just on cam right?! anyone know any specs on the engine with the 3 valve head like if its the same compression, and will it have the same ****ty plastic intake we have now? just thinking about my future plans :D

• Sponsors (?)

I would like to know more too. If there is only one cam per head then I would think it would be a pretty clean swap. The intake will probably be different. That s**tty plastic intake flows better than most stock aluminum or cast intakes from the 5.0 era. :nice:

When I was reading the main page about the 05 Stang on the main page of stangnet it said the new engine only shares 30% of the old parts with the 99-04 GT's! I'd like to know too but with the F150's being the only one with these heads now we'll have to wait for a hardcore stanger to do a swap this early!

I think the swap will be similar to a Bullitt intake swap. The upper intake is different, so if you have to swap that in then you'll need a new intake tube, throttle body, throttle linkage, maybe a different alternator, etc... Could be painfully expensive.

A "3-valve swap" would be very cost prohibitive. I mean the amount of parts you'd have to swap would cost a fortune, and for what...40 horse?? Not worth it!
Here's a short list....

Intake (yes it's plastic, but much improved over the 2V.), with Electronic t/b.
Heads of course
Front Cover
Oil Pump
Exhaust manifolds
computer
engine harness
degas bottle and hoses
upper rad hose
*Power steering hoses*--I think
Not to mention tuning. It's a new animal for Ford.

Anyway, you get the idea. Lots of big dollar items. Stick to modding you 2V. Your pocket book will appreciate it.

ya, its a lot of work. i think theres someone on here who swapped in a 3V either a 4.6 or 5.4 from australia. Ford has been running those motors in Fairmonts and LTD's for a year or so. honestly its not worth it, unless of course you have Bill Gates money.