• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

302-351 Intake Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Calypso Cruiser
  • Start date Start date Feb 14, 2015

Calypso Cruiser

New Member
Nov 11, 2013
17
1
4
Calgary
Feb 14, 2015
#1
  • Feb 14, 2015
  • #1
Hey guys,
So I have a 351w roller EFI. I thought I heard years ago that you could use the upper plenum from a 302 on the lower plenum from a truck 302... I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 302 upper on a 351 lower? My car is in winter storage at the moment so I can't measure or swap. I'm also talking about stock EFI intakes.
If nobody has tried this I'll give it a shot in spring time. If someone has tried or has any input by all means post up.
And yes, I'm looking for a cheap intake option for a 351 swap.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,324
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Feb 14, 2015
#2
  • Feb 14, 2015
  • #2
Have you seen a 351 truck lower? It's unique.



far right. No other intake will bolt to it
 

tonydalrymple

Active Member
Nov 27, 2004
167
29
39
Salt Lake City, Utah
Feb 14, 2015
#3
  • Feb 14, 2015
  • #3
It used to be you could buy an FRPP 351 lower intake (from the Lightning) & bolt on a GT40, Cobra, Or Explorer upper intake onto. Here is a current Ebay link to one being for sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351w-Gt40-Lower-Intake-5-8-Mustang-Gt-Lx-Svo-Cobra-Windsor-Sbf-/111595910599 From what I understand, these are not available through Ford anymore.... You might be able shop around some swap meets or check with local enthusiasts for a better deal?
 

Calypso Cruiser

New Member
Nov 11, 2013
17
1
4
Calgary
Feb 15, 2015
#4
  • Feb 15, 2015
  • #4
Yes it seems they are much different. One of those lightning lowers with GT upper, throttle body and 24# injectors came up for sale not far from me. 700$ sounded high but may be not too bad. They look pretty slick. But still getting close to the price of a new tfs or edelbrock.
Thanks for the input!
 

Chuckman

GTFO you fat, heavy bastard
15 Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
1,604
1,002
173
st. louis, mo
Feb 15, 2015
#5
  • Feb 15, 2015
  • #5
Iirc, the holley upper will bolt to the stock truck lower, but the ports are waaay off. There was a guy on corral who was cnc porting a 351 lower for the holley, dunno what came of, but it's not exactly the best idea when you can probably find a whole used edelbrock 351 victor for less.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,324
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Feb 15, 2015
#6
  • Feb 15, 2015
  • #6
Holly upper is modeled after the truck 302 intake...which is the center intake on above pic.


Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
 
S

SpareParts

Member
Jun 16, 2014
4
1
13
Gerald, Missouri
Feb 17, 2015
#7
  • Feb 17, 2015
  • #7
I don't know if the hood clearance will allow, but BC Broncos has a adapter. It allows for the truck 351 lower to be mated to the car 302 upper.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=131_108&products_id=1059
 

Calypso Cruiser

New Member
Nov 11, 2013
17
1
4
Calgary
Mar 2, 2015
#8
  • Mar 2, 2015
  • #8
SpareParts said:
I don't know if the hood clearance will allow, but BC Broncos has a adapter. It allows for the truck 351 lower to be mated to the car 302 upper.

B.C. Broncos - Early Bronco EFI Fuel Parts and Kits - B. C. Broncos llc - products new home - manifold adaptor 351/5.0
Click to expand...
that's a pretty slick adapter... too bad I forgot about this thread. I should check this place out more. I ended up buy a used lightning lower with the tubular cobra upper. Which I find to be a very good looking set-up. It may not flow the most air but if I add some boost it will perform very well.
 
Reactions: Noobz347

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,356
21,558
234
Box behind Walmart
Mar 3, 2015
#9
  • Mar 3, 2015
  • #9
Nice.... Post up a pic when you get the chance!

I really like the tubular uppers.
 
S

SpareParts

Member
Jun 16, 2014
4
1
13
Gerald, Missouri
Mar 6, 2015
#10
  • Mar 6, 2015
  • #10
I know you were talking about the tubular upper pic... But here's one with the adapter I linked.
 
Reactions: 89oem
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Forged flat top pistons from 5.0 fit a 351 build?
  • PonyGTrider
  • May 22, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Feb 1, 2026
PonyGTrider
Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
515
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
SN95 Desktop 363 Engine Combination - Looking for input
  • WhiteCobra95
  • Sep 8, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
11
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 6, 2025
Habu135
Engine 87 NA - Tune or no Tune needed?
  • R82148V
  • Sep 17, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
428
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 17, 2025
R82148V
9
Milton Questions, 351 swap newedge
  • 996stang
  • Jul 20, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
256
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 25, 2026
Killer351w
K
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?