302 Build Question

Mach1Fastback87

Jun 3, 2014
First off sorry for another post on an engine, I'm new to ford engines so I'm learning as I go. I got a 79 302 non roller over the weekend. HAs a crane 284h12 cam and an edlebrock 289 intake holley 600 vacuum secondary. Has d80e heads on it looks to be polished. The springs are a double spring set up. I also have a 84 302 non roller that was bored .40 over, with no cam and factory heads. I also have a set of gt40p heads on my work bench. Here is my issue, when I went to put on the timing cover on the 79 block, I discovered a bolt broken off in the block. They have been tapped is why I didn't notice, they tapped the holes sideways so I can't get a bolt in the block. What I am thinking about doing is taking the cam out and putting it in my .40 over block and putting on the gt40p heads. Is this a good idea or should I just try to het the timing cover bolts on the long block I already have? Any feed back would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

To my knowledge, Ford doesn't make a factory 4.040 pistons in a 302. I don't even know if anyone sells aftermarket pistons without at least a 4 brow. Just make sure you do your research on headers that'll work. I'm pretty sure GT40p heads have straight plugs instead of the angled plug the regular GT40 heads have.

I know my 84 block has been bored to .04 and it does have the valve cuts on the pistons. I think what I will do is run the 79 block and the d8oe heads since its already almost together. i got the blots out last night that was messed up.