302 cutting out under acceleration

• Sponsors (?)

I built the engine & it has all new parts in it . I bought all my parts to throught Summit racing, & after getting it together & having the problem. I started replacing parts to try to resolve the hesitation problems,when I accelerate the car when Iam driving it. When iI have it in the garage & run the engine performs great, its only under a load when it acts up. I have replaced spark plugs ,spark plug wires,coil, distrubutor,carburetor,fuel filter,fuel pump,& it hasn't resolves the problem,& I have have the distributor advanced to 36 max advance seams to run best there.

When you say it hesitates, is it when under a heavy acceleration (such as when you floor it), or is it when under a light acceleration when gently speeding up from say 35 to 40 MPH?

If you know the distributor is in on the right tooth, the from there-What carburetor? Have you checked float levels and accelerator pump to make sure it squirts as it should? Also, does it have a mechanical fuel pump or electric? You might check fuel pressure.

start by getting the accelerator pump shot right, i think that is where you issue will be. you probably need a larger pump squirter to get a bit more fuel into the system to prevent the hesitation.

Thinking about this.....if there are no mechanical issues with the engine (correctly assembled), timing is correct, fuel system is performing correctly, and valve lash is correct, it has to be electrical.

I would try grounding the distributor directly to the battery and see if that might be the issue. I had a 1975 Ford Torino that had some issues similar to this after a rebuild of the 351 and I grounded the distributor and it all went away. Perhaps the distributor is not picking up a solid ground on the engine block.

Reactions: 1 users
thank you for all the information . I will try a larger accelerator pump.

no no, not a larger accelerator pump, a larger accelerator pump shooter, aka discharge nozzle;