302 Help

65StangMan

Jan 20, 2020
Nevada
Hello everyone, I am new to the site. I have a ‘65 Mustang with a rebuilt 302 under the hood. This car has been sitting since 2002, and now that I am an adult with more knowledge concerning mechanical work, I am putting my Mustang together. My 302 block is from a 1991 Ford Thunderbird (according to the casting numbers). I have no power steering or A/C. I am wondering where I would mount the alternator (haven’t purchased one yet, I am thinking one-wire 100 amp, internally regulated) and the length of the v-belt (crank, water pump and alt only). I am assuming the alternator is mounted on the passenger-side, slightly lower than the water pump? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 9E7C149B-EF53-4C01-B1C2-525F5F177D4C.jpeg
    9E7C149B-EF53-4C01-B1C2-525F5F177D4C.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Sponsors (?)

Is the water pump a replacement for a 65 Mustang or a 91 T-bird. I have a 90s 302 in my 68 and I had to scratch my head a little bit when it came time to put the pulleys and alternator on. Nothing I scrounged up would align up. the 90s motor I have had a 4 bolt crankshaft pulley and the 60s models had a 3 bolt pulley. The 3 and 4 bolt pulleys were different depths. I finally bought an aftermarket balancer that was drilled for the 3 and 4 bolt pulleys so I could use the 60s crank pulley tahat would align up with the 68 water pump, pulley, and stock alternator and brackets. You cannot swap stock harmonic balancers between new and old engines because the old engines have a 28oz balance and the new ones are 50 oz. Also, the 90's T bird water pump should be reverse rotation and your mustang came stock with a standard rotation pump.

Is the water pump a replacement for a 65 Mustang or a 91 T-bird. I have a 90s 302 in my 68 and I had to scratch my head a little bit when it came time to put the pulleys and alternator on. Nothing I scrounged up would align up. the 90s motor I have had a 4 bolt crankshaft pulley and the 60s models had a 3 bolt pulley. The 3 and 4 bolt pulleys were different depths. I finally bought an aftermarket balancer that was drilled for the 3 and 4 bolt pulleys so I could use the 60s crank pulley tahat would align up with the 68 water pump, pulley, and stock alternator and brackets. You cannot swap stock harmonic balancers between new and old engines because the old engines have a 28oz balance and the new ones are 50 oz. Also, the 90's T bird water pump should be reverse rotation and your mustang came stock with a standard rotation pump.
The water pump I purchased is for a Mustang (GMB High Performance 125-1420P; standard-rotation). I may be safe with this replacement, because I removed the backing plate from the previous water pump that was installed and the design of the impeller indicates standard-rotation. I made the mistake of purchasing a 20” radiator for 67-69 Mustangs and a GM 100-amp alternator (which I’m currently trying to sell both, to purchase the correct ones). As I am learning more, and I was able to confirm my block’s casting date, I am learning the difference between parts lol. I looked at my crank pulley the other night and it is a 3-bolt pulley.

I wouldn't retro the pulleys to make it look like a 65 engine, I would put in modern pulleys and a serpentine belt, you know like a crate engine. If you're looking for the 65 appearance, I would get an engine from that era, 65-67 289. Only if you're going for the look, which, really doesn't matter these days imo. I'm guessing from your posts you're just trying to use the 91 block, and wouldn't mind how it looks. So, go for all modern equipment. The radiator is an honest mistake. Get any big one that fits, doesn't have to be from a t-bird. Take a look at the restomod parts at CJ's or your favorite shop, talk to them about what you want to do.

I wouldn't retro the pulleys to make it look like a 65 engine, I would put in modern pulleys and a serpentine belt, you know like a crate engine. If you're looking for the 65 appearance, I would get an engine from that era, 65-67 289. Only if you're going for the look, which, really doesn't matter these days imo. I'm guessing from your posts you're just trying to use the 91 block, and wouldn't mind how it looks. So, go for all modern equipment. The radiator is an honest mistake. Get any big one that fits, doesn't have to be from a t-bird. Take a look at the restomod parts at CJ's or your favorite shop, talk to them about what you want to do.
My apologies for the late response. Thank you for your advice!