302 oil consumption mystery

I have a 1988 mustang that I just put a used bottom end in. I put gt40p heads along with a f303 cam and edelbrock performer rpm intake. Its been using a quart of oil every 150 miles. the oil is burning only on cylinder 6. I put new valve seals in and it still didn't fix the problem. Compression is 140 (cold) across the board. just changed the pcv valve out, and it changed nothing. oil puddles up in cylinder 6. smokes only when it gets into higher revs.

• Sponsors (?)

You sure it's not sucking oil through the PVC? It's a common problem with some intakes. In fact Ford revised the baffle to address the issue for the Explorers.

Reactions: 1 user
If it is your pcv valve ,this guy on utube makes a catch can ,looks simple enough.let us know what you find

And unfortunately stopped making the large better baffle!

Yup. Was a common issue so much so that Ford did change the baffle design. It's part number F6TZ-6L678-AA but it's been discontinued for a while.

1__ExplorerBaffleFix.jpg

Try a separator on the PCV to see if that is the cause of your consumption

Is this also an issue on the Exploder intakes? If so, is there a part number for that bigger baffle?

Yup. Was a common issue so much so that Ford did change the baffle design. It's part number F6TZ-6L678-AA but it's been discontinued for a while.

1__ExplorerBaffleFix.jpg

Try a separator on the PCV to see if that is the cause of your consumption

Is this also an issue on the Exploder intakes? If so, is there a part number for that bigger baffle?

the explorer intakes already have the new baffle. Ford started adding them in 96 on the explorer, but not the kit intakes.

My 93 cobra lower, bought around 2000 or so, has the small baffle. The 96 explorer lower i ported and installed in its place has the big baffle