302 Swap into Nissan chumpcar race car - help with head vs cam

turbogrill

Mar 3, 2021
tx
Hi,

I am researching swapping a 302 SBF into a Nissan chumpcar race car. Would need >250whp for it to make sense. 300whp would be great.

I can swap something that is rated <210hp from factory and then do modifications. Luckily the 1993 mustang was rated 205hp. The explorer engine is rated 215hp and that is to high

What would be my best option in terms of power:

Option 1. 1993 GT with aftermarket head, stock cam
Option 2. 1993 GT with aftermarket cam, stock head

CAI, Exhaust will be no cat free flowing. ECU can be aftermarket or stock, whatever is best. (Have a megasquirt now)
Might be able to do aftermarket header or intake manifold. Can use Cobra exhaust manifold if that is better.

Any other suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

That build will put you at 300+ at the flywheel (250+ at the rear wheels), won't break the bank, and will sneak past the Chumpcar inspectors if you use the right parts (I'd recommend the aluminum 4-bbl manifold from the mid-80s fox-body Mustang with a bit of porting and an EGR block-off plate with a junkyard Holley or Autolite 4-bbl).

I can tell you from experience that it works because it's almost identical to my old combination that made 267rwhp on the dyno (I only bored .040 over and ran roller rockers instead of originals).

The last of the Fox Mustangs were rated at 225, not 205. They had an advertising campaign on that premise.

1614794915821.png

If you were to go back a few years you'd probably be in that sweet spot.

Thanks! That's a good recipe. I already have a megasquirt installed in the car for the straight6, might get a EFI intake and run that. Would be great if I could find a car with EDIS as well since that works very well with megasquirt.

According to edmunds:
1992 Mustang GT = 225hp
1993 Mustang GT = 205hp
1994 Mustang GT = 215hp

They changed how they rate HP, so it's just artificial.

But I will just see what's available in my area, unlikely it will be the correct year...

Thanks! That's a good recipe. I already have a megasquirt installed in the car for the straight6, might get a EFI intake and run that. Would be great if I could find a car with EDIS as well since that works very well with megasquirt.

According to edmunds:
1992 Mustang GT = 225hp
1993 Mustang GT = 205hp
1994 Mustang GT = 215hp

They changed how they rate HP, so it's just artificial.

But I will just see what's available in my area, unlikely it will be the correct year...
Just a heads up: Any 302 roller block (regardless of source, they were even in some Crown Vics, F150s, etc) gives you a head start on power so long as you stay with a roller cam (less resistance, ability to run something more aggressive).

Also, 302s switch balance in 1982.

Reactions: 1 user