The hard part is removing it. That can be done using several things, soap, grease are two. You pack the hole with either, then force a tight fittign dowel into the hole. The hydraulic pressure will op the bushing out. Sometimes takes several trys to get er done.
just mah .02......i foudn another interesting way to do this....find a tight fitting bolt, and screw that in. if your not concerned about saving the bushing/bearing...it works well! you'll feel it bite, and just keep screwing untill the bushing comes off
..well...it did on a bushing anyway.....thats how we got the bushing out of the camaro project we're on now.
just thought I'd like to feel important is all....carry on....
That's going to be a 164 tooth bell with the larger flywheel needed to match. Depth is still going to be the same with the 390 input falling short of the stock pilot bushing. Better jump on that Boss 302 bushing while you can. The way that pilot bearing's made, it's bearing surface is even farther away from the pilot snout than a stock bushing is.Thanks again for all your help. Here are a few pictures of the bell housing and bearing.
The bell housing P/N is D1TA394AA, which one site indicated was spec'd on a truck? I wonder if this would make any difference in needing/not needing that bearing? I guess I'll have to just bolt it all back together minus the clutch/fly/plate to be sure (although I'm not looking forwarded to it).
I did get in touch with Fred Glazier at mustangbarn.com, who has the Boss 302 pilot bearing (p/n G06442) for $40, so at least I they're out there.
Yea, I've done that with a bushing, it won't work with a bearing though as the bolt is softer than the bearing race and won't get a bite to thread the race.
it will if you use a SOOPER HD bolt...
figured it wouldn't work on a bearing either. Funny thing is....when we did this, i just grabbed a random bolt laying around to get the size for a dowel...screwed it in...and we were like...HEY! lets just keep turning! lol
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?