302 V8 Enhancements? (looking at possibly selling)

mstang2ride

May 27, 2003
Howdy to the mustang ii world once again. Ive got a stock 302 2bbl in my 78 mach 1 and a 3 speed automatic transmission. ive ruled out installing a manual transmission because of the money involved, but im still looking for some low cost performance boosts on the engine. any ideas? also im looking to put on some flowmasters next month with the existing 2" pipes and stock manifolds. what kind of performance boosts will this yeild, and what model flows would yeild the closest sound to a new model mustang (2000+) as well as the nice freeflowing sputtering you get outta high performance cars. also should I look into getting headers or larger pipes all the way out the rear ect. im not all that knowledgeable about performance tuning so forgive my ignorance, but ive no idea what any of this would cost or what sort of difference it would make. on the subject of selling the car, ive looked into possibly selling it for a newer mustang. so until I get pictures, its a red 78 mach 1 with complete interior in good shape excluding the drivers door panel (the vinyl is good but needs new cardboard and clips). paint job is good on the body, rear bumper could use very minor touchup, but nothing 5 minutes wouldnt cure. the front spoiler peice (car does not have air dam or louvers) has met a cement parking block and needs replacing, 70 dollars new or used best I can tell but you guys work magic so im sure ill be proven wrong :). the rear spoiler is on the hatch and in good shape, no cracks in the glass, all moving parts in doors working fine. engine is in perfect running condition, as well as transmission. will sell the car with engine for 2500 or car without engine for 1500.

thanks in advance for takin a minute o your time to help me out :)

btw, ive got "modified" cats in the exhaust so no air restriction there.

• Sponsors (?)

The first thing you should do, is put on an aluminum intake and a 650 cfm 4 barrel carb. Just those two items will make it a whole new car. From there, there's tons more you can do, but those two items should be the first and no break your wallet.

Headers

If I was you I would run some headers on it. That will help out a lot also. I've seen headers for 76-78 Mll's on Ebay selling for $160. Heddman and Hooker bolth make headers for your car. They are very pricey brand new so I do not reccomend that. I would get used ones and clean them up a lil, spray them with high temp silicone paint and wrap them with DEI Fiberglass Wrap $70.00. I have pics of mine but cannot figure out how to get pics up on the forums.

I'm sure you can pick up some GT-40 heads for around $550. Have intake matched and port/polish and match chambers. You will be happy.

mstang2ride said:
thanks for the info, but what should those items cost, and who should I get them from (edelbrock, holley, ect.)

thanks again

Again, Check Ebay. But for new, An edelbrock carb is about 200-250, and the manifold runs from 125 on up.

Now, dont be fooled into getting a race manifold. These are miserable for a street car. Check on the box, pamphlet, or catalog description. Many have an "optimum range" If it says Idle (or even 1500) thats good. And you usually dont want one that goes higher than 6000 rpms.

Carb

Well there guy I have an Edlebrock 600cfm Electronic Choke non-emission that I bought and really didn't even use it much more than a few times. I payed somewheres around $275.00 for it new so I don't know if I want to just get rid of it for cheap. Maybe $150.00 and I'd think about it but I don't know. There is obviously nothing wrong with it, but it just wasn't close to enough fuel for my motor. I have a lot done to my motor though. This carb will work well on your motor I'm sure of that. I also have an older Edlebrock Torker ll Intake Manifold from probably like 6 or 7 years ago. Also nothing wrong with it but its a lil dirty. It was used for about 3 years. Just needs a good cleaning thats all. I could let that go for $50.00. I'm not gonna use it anyway. Its up to you if you want it and want to set up way of payment.

Dan

How the Hell do you get pics on here. I've been trying to figure it out for days now. This manage pic thing won't let me put any pics on here what am i doing wrong. I go to browse click on the pic I want and it doesn't attatch. GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Dan

im actually going tommorrow and mon to look at 88 gt's as daily drivers as the II just isnt reliable enough to run as a daily driver when I start college. what I like or dislike when I go to look will most likely determine if I do indeed decide to sell it. so if you can give me a couple days to get that sorted out ill post sometime on tues or wed with my decision. If I keep the II im definately interested in your manifold and carb if youd be willing to sell it, it sounds like exactly what im looking for. ill let ya know next week, and thanks for the help everyone.

btw, where are you located at dan, id like to get a qoute on shipping costs incase your out of state. im local about 45 minutes north of atlanta and so far ive only seen 3 other II's around here so I doubt if we are close enough to meet for the parts exchange.

I just took a look at the edelbrock site and it says the torker II is 2500-6500 rpm. forgive my ignorance on this subject as I have no knowledge about it. what does this range mean, and is it number one...street legal, and number two...street drivable. I want the car to still be drivable as a daily driver, just with a bit higher end performance than it has now. if someone could educate me about this id much appreciate it. thanks in advance.
justin

danimaltheanima said:
How the Hell do you get pics on here. I've been trying to figure it out for days now. This manage pic thing won't let me put any pics on here what am i doing wrong. I go to browse click on the pic I want and it doesn't attatch. GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Dan
\\

you need 30 posts

Ok

Well first my zip is 60050. I live near Chicago.

Secondly the range your talking about is the range when that particular intake will perform the best as far as air fuel mixture etc. It is definatly streetable. It isn't a race only intake. It is actually exactly what your looking for my friend. I'd send you pics but 77sleeper says I need 30 post before I can post pics. I can probably do it e-mail if you want to give me your e-mail address.

Dan

For most street cars, a dual plane intake is the best. example. edelbrock rpm model. You also get better low end from them for the street. My other car with a single plane needs to get up the rpm's before makeing a nice feel for power.