306, 331 or 347 bulid up

SuperDust22

The Power of Pixie Dust?!
Oct 19, 2003
Gilbert,AZ
All right I have decided to just do a new engine build up. I just bought a 94-95 cobra intake manifold and I was going to get a pair of E7's ported out with a new cam. If I am going to go that far I might as well get a new block assembly. Should I go with a 306, 331 or 347? I know the more displacement the more power I will make. I just didn't know if there was any down falls in the 347 or 331. I know they are stroked. Will a set of ported E7's work well with those blocks? I want to try to do this build up a little cheaper. I don't have all the money in the world and I am not looking to try to set a record. I just want to have a good reliable engine with a lot of power. And where would I find a good block assembly for a good price?

• Sponsors (?)

If you are struggling to save up money in the first palce don't spend your money on ported E7's in the first place. SAVE YOUR MONEY! Throw a higher stall in that auto and put the Cobra intake on and you'll be happy for awhile.

Jake

I might already have to put a whole new trans in there. I was going to get the Art Carr or Level 10 in with a high stall. I still just don't know what I want to do with the enigine. I want more than just the cobra intake.

If you really want a new short block i say go with a 347. Like they said stock ported heads arent gonna work well with the stroker at all. i would look into a set of trickflow TW's or afr 185's. You can get the trickflow heads for 999 new, and sometimes i see them on the corral new for even less.

Trick Flow=$1G

I didnt see you had AODE..Yes..get a PI Stallion TC.
For the engine, You can get a TW Street heat and heads and use them with your current block. If the engine goes, hopefully by that time you will have been able to save up for the stroker. Then you could keep the heads and intake. The TW heads and intake may not be the very best with a stroker, but they will work with what you have now and with the stroker if you need it.

DEF. do the Converter first

RC

buy a short block assembly from either keith craft, coast high(formally Probe), or D.S.S. i would go with DSS, they are well proven performers.(not to say the others aren't) As a question of which size? i would say either a 331 or a 347. the 306 just doesn't seem enough to me if your spending the money. the 347 puts more wear on the internals from the longer stroke and will need to check for rod clearances and all that jazz where as the 331 you won't.