31 spline axles

Rick 91GT said:
Mike go with a 9" bearing end *they make them for the stock 8.8 brakes or any aftermarket brake set-up* and you won't have to worry about a leaking c-clip elim. On high HP cars the axle tends to break right behind the limiters :eek:

I have Moser stuff for mine, but the Strange is also very nice you can't miss and match the splines are slightly different. If you want all out get a spool, if not the Eaton is hard to beat and is rebuildable, Mark Williams always has them on sale.

You'll need long studs to be legal.... You can also have the axles gun drilled and lightened if you want ;) saved me over 7.5 per side over a 31 spline axle, and mine are 33's, titanium studs and lug nuts will save you another 1.5 pounds per side, you can have the ring gear lightened for another 5-7 pounds.

Mark, how's life treating been a long time.......

Rick, do I really need that fancy stuff for a street car? What is a 9" bearing end? I really don't wanna go all out which is why I was looking at the $200 fms 31 spline unit and whatever axles you say to run.

I do like the idea of the light weight axles and ring gear. I'm a big fan of light weight rotating stuff. Where can I get them?

Are there any spools I can run in a street car? Who is mark williams?

• Sponsors (?)

9" houseing ends are just that. they are made off of the 9" rear ford has. i'm thinking that you basicaly cut off the stock 8.8 ends and then get the 9" ends welded on. that way you have the axle retension of a 9" housing. there are different sizes you can go with for the bearings and what not. once you start talking to some companies about it, they will know the answers more so.

mark williams is a website that deals in drivetrain items, ect... axles, rearends, gears and so forth. is mark williams and acutal guy? i dunno. they do some good work.

I'll agree with rick on using an eaton, i have a 31 spline auburn i've been beating on for years, but seems not everyone has that luck.

31 spline moser 5 lug fox axles in my car, only issue is that the damn 3 inch studs suck for a street car. If you choose moser, take the studs out, and put a ton of locktite on them. Either that or use 2 inch studs with locktite. 3 inches are too long for any decorative type lugnut. So i was putting 2 lugs on each stud, one with a hole and then one meant to be seen.
I had one stud back out without me knowing it, and it destroyed the intermals on my drum setup. What a PITA.

I'm also told that all the FMS gears are now the lightened version.

im running moser 31 spline axles and the ford racing 31 spline posi diff...i also just added the bigger girdle from trick flow..the girdle has just been added but the rear has been this set up for about a year and i love it...rides well and hooks great best of all u know those axles are back there so the confidence to launch hard is the best feeling in the world.....oh yea im not running that high of a gear i got 4.10's

stangnutlx said:
strange sells a whole kit.... 33 spline axles c clip elims, studs, spool, for like 600 bucks..... thats what i own

How does that drive on the street?

Btw, I got your PM. That cam sounds NICE, your combo should run VERY hard!

Grn92LX said:
How does that drive on the street?

Btw, I got your PM. That cam sounds NICE, your combo should run VERY hard!

it isnt bad i just over inflate the tires a little seems to help with the spool

im running 4.56's and the seat of the pants feel now with the stock motor is insane cant wait for new engine

stangnutlx said:
Only problem im gonna run into is the lack of vaccuum. What do you think?

I think you'll be alright. My vacuum is low, but enough for ok brakes. I am wondering if I have a slight vacuum leak still though at the lower manifold. The block and heads are milled so the lower didn't line up 100% port-wise so maybe its got a slight vac leak. I make around 10" at a 950rpm idle.

Bobby, what pics do you want?

Mike the light weight stuff I mentions because I know how you like it..lol and it will make things easier on parts. Moser and Strange both offer the lighting process, I can help you there. 9" ends are great since they eliminate the leak prone c-clip elim, they also are a stronger axles set-up. They offer the 9" ends with a 8.8 set-up so you can bolt your factory drum or disc right to it. The ends have to be installed/welded in a fixture to ensure it is straight and aligned, I have one... I can post pic of my Moser stuff when I get home.

The new FMS fears are lighter then the older ones but are far from a lightened set from Innovators West.
RingGear.JPG

19588_s.jpg

8.8 Eaton Posi-Traction for 31 Spline Axles
$374.00 (Regularly $450.00)
SKU: 19588.

Grn92LX said:
I think you'll be alright. My vacuum is low, but enough for ok brakes. I am wondering if I have a slight vacuum leak still though at the lower manifold. The block and heads are milled so the lower didn't line up 100% port-wise so maybe its got a slight vac leak. I make around 10" at a 950rpm idle.

Bobby, what pics do you want?

Hows your brakes work with 10" of vacuum... Send me your Cam specs

Yeah I saw you have FTI is your sig, Mike just loves when guys ask for his specs. It is a fairly large roller cam from what I have seen come from ED, brakes at 10" of vac are usually OK, at idle the pedal can be a little firm but while driving it is good.

Rick 91GT said:
Yeah I saw you have FTI is your sig, Mike just loves when guys ask for his specs. It is a fairly large roller cam from what I have seen come from ED, brakes at 10" of vac are usually OK, at idle the pedal can be a little firm but while driving it is good.

Living 10 minutes from EDC's front door has its advantages.... lol

my cam is slightly smaller than Mike's. mines also a hyd/roller setup