347 lifespan?

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly alot of that is determined by how much you put into it when you build it. If it is built right and maintained properly and not ragged on all the time it should last as long as any other engine.

My experience has been the rings wear out faster then normal. Put the best rings in it you can get.

Imagine that you have just bought a brand new 5.0 Mustang. Take it out and beat the balls off of it like you know you're gonna do with a 347...how long would you expect a new engine to last under race conditions? Most of the high mileage 302s you hear about are the ones that are driven and not raced. I would expect to do a rebuild at least by 50k miles even with the best rings and bearings, and especially new valve springs if you have a radical cam and wind out the RPMs a lot.

All depends on the builder.

Rings take the brunt of the wear anyways.

Technically a 302 would lost longer than a 331, and a 331 would last longer than a 347. But the reality is, it is not going to be noticeable with a good builder.

Take a gander at the Stroker Information link in my signature.

I propose a 1.175" piston/5.315" rod/3.4" stroke for most N/A situations.

The builder is everything...

Good Luck:nice:

would a 331 be any better?

Well, compared to the extreme piston to rod angles that a 347 sees, yeah a little, but in the end it's still gonna come down to how hard you drive it. You could build a 347 and use it as a law abiding never raced never rev limiter bounced daily driver and probably get well over 100k out of it. It's the abuse that shortens their lifespan more than anything.