351 cleveland power estimate

jterry831

Apr 25, 2005
I have a complete 351C. It was rebuilt a few years ago right before I purchased it. It has a fairly stock rebuild and hasn't been run since. It is a standard 2 bolt main block, casting # D2AE-CA. It has 4 barrell heads with casting # 9M1 1, if I read it right. It is complete with a Shelby intake, water pump, harmonic balancer, exhaust manifolds. Practically everything minus carb and distributor. I have a cam spec card, but not sure which info would be pertinent for dtermining power estimate. If someone could tell me what info on the cam you would need and could give a ball park estimate on what kind of power it would make, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jimmy

• Sponsors (?)

You need the lift at the valve and duration figures. The numbers you posted are the date codes for the heads. If they are truly 4bbl heads, they should have a "4" cast into one corner next to the valve cover. The date code says they're early 70 heads ( 9M is December 69, making them 70 model year heads) Another variation is the pistons, do you happen to know if they're flat tops or domed ? If they're flat tops and the heads are quench chambered, your comp ratio is going to be around 11 to 1. Domes increase this to 12-something to 1. At any rate, do NOT fill the fuel tank with anything less than 89 octane gas preferably fill it with 92-93 octane premium. Put 87 regular in there and you're going to be extremely unhappy with the results.

The intake valve lift is .484 and exhaust is .501. The duration is 204' intake and 214' exhaust. The cam lift is .280 intake and .295 exhaust. The raokcker arm ratio listed is 1:1.73 if that helps. The heads do have a 4 on the corner next to the valve cover. The pistons, I don't know about. The guy I bought it from said it was a pretty stock rebuild, so I don't think there is anything radical in there. If we assume they are stock, can you give me any ideas on numbers? I have someone interested in buying it I need a ballpark number for him. And yes I know there are a lot of variables to consider, do even stock power figures would be a good start. It can't be worse than factory stock could it?

Thanks!

That cam's pretty much like an RV or CJ grind.Sounds like the Summit grind I tried in a stock 400M a couple years ago. Made good power with it and a 500 cfm holley 2 bbl. Ought to work well with the 4 bbl heads in keeping the power band down where you need it on the street. Hp? I'd guess around 350, give or take 20-30.