351 Conversation On A 1982

foxmustang359

Aug 1, 2014
ok I was thinking about buy this 1982 and it does not have a motor or a transmission and was think if I could put a 351 from a 1979 f150 and was wondering how much it was cost me and if I be a easy thing to do

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not too familiar with the transmissions in those trucks. If it's an automatic then I would guess it's a C6 if it came with a 351. I know the GM truck transmissions are different from the car transmissions. Not sure on the Ford. The easiest way to go is to stick with the automatic. It can be a little tricky to get a carb 351 to clear a stock hood. You are going to need a set of headers for it, and motor mounts for sure. Is this a situation where you just want the car to run, or do you want to go fast. It's going to be a slug with a stock truck motor.

Kurt

Well both just something to drive but then later mod it
I'm not too familiar with the transmissions in those trucks. If it's an automatic then I would guess it's a C6 if it came with a 351. I know the GM truck transmissions are different from the car transmissions. Not sure on the Ford. The easiest way to go is to stick with the automatic. It can be a little tricky to get a carb 351 to clear a stock hood. You are going to need a set of headers for it, and motor mounts for sure. Is this a situation where you just want the car to run, or do you want to go fast. It's going to be a slug with a stock truck motor.

Kurt

You'll also need a different oil pan than the one on the engine. The C6 trans is a very HD trans but they shift like crap. You can definetly install that combo but like Kurt said it will be a dog until you start modifying the combo. I'm not 100% sure but you might need a special drive shaft also for the C6. I think that trans is longer than the typical t5/c4/AOD. If you do all the typical "hot rod" mods (heads,cam,intake,carb,exhaust,shift kit,stall converter,rear gears) you could have a very stout street car.