351C in a 68, help

First, i'm gonna say I hate taking cars apart to keep one running. But today I was getting gas in my 68 fastback. Went in to pay and took a bunch of good humored crap about my car and how they wanted it. So I gave it back and said they could have it. Then I went outside and my car wouldn't start because my starter broke. I felt like such a retard. which leads into the problem. It has an oil leak so I need an engine and we have a 351C 2V from a Torino laying in our shed. Can I use a 4 speed from a 65 mustang with that engine in my car? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

its a 289, the rear main leaks and it burns a little, too. Because the people we bought it from put like 500 miles on it over 18 years. so all the seals dried up. The gears in the rear end had surface rust on them it sat so much.

if it runs ok otherwise, why not try new pan gasket and rear seal. There are also some additives that help eliminate oil burn, different weight oil etc...

If you're looking forward to replacing it go for it.
motor mounts should be the same,
exhaust is different,
bolt up to the bell housing should be the same.
may need to lengthen or shorten overall length of driveshaft.
If you plan on hot rodding it, there aren't too many options for the 351 2v, as for the other motor many different heads, intakes, waterpumps,headers etc...
good luck

if the trans is a toploader it will be strong enough if that is the question. as far as total length, i think the tranny will sit further back in the car because of the lenght of the cleveland.

Bro, I put a 70 351C (4bbl-2V) into my 67. It wasn't that difficult, but, the pains came to haunt me later. Such as, suspension (front end was too heavy-it handled like dookie), I slammed my oil pan ever so lightly on a small rockl, and it left a gouge in it, which later opened and leaked ALL the earl out. Then, things like starters - if youre running headers, you gotta pull the passenger side off, and pull/put in the starter, then as with headers-(this was before all these high speed aftermarket products came out for stangs), I would romp on it, and the headers would "make contact" with the inner fenders and frame. Just a thought. I'd go with fixing the 289. Or you can sell me the 289. My folks still live in MT next door:) (If you need a buyer)

With a swap to a 351C and 4 speed you will have to convert to a hydraulic clutch or fabricate a new clutch linkage as both the stock Cleveland manifolds and headers cause interference problems. The Hooker Super Comp headers may be a bolt in with the stock linkage, but they are a bit pricey.

Cleveland Conversion

If you really want a Cleveland it will install pretty well. Everything said above is accurate, with one exception . As to performance upgrades, the 2V motor are an outstanding choice to start with. These engines can make a lot of power w/out having to purchase aftermarket heads.
True, they do pose some challenges, but in my opinion worth it.
I converted my 67 with 289 about 15 years ago and have done lots of stuff to the car.

351c

I agree 100% on having something under the hood with a reputation for power.
As to the weight/handling issues, it is not a problem with suspension upgrades and weight mangement(aluminum water pump,intake,radiator).

Being a GM guy, i opted for a 351c 4v in my 67. About the only problem i had was the headers. Had to have a few tweaks on the tubes in a couple places. I also went to the mini hi-torque starter and have plenty of clearance now. The plugs are a little harder to get to, but not all that bad. The car isn't driveable yet, so i can't say for handling yet. I did go with all new components in the front end and 620 springs. I've got some updated pics on my website if anyone is interested. Pictures in the Mustang link.

I just noticed i should update my signature.

It will be a project, but I say go for it. I purchased my 68 with the cleveland already swapped for me. I have the hooker super comp headers and lakewood bell housing (double check bell housing will bolt up from a 289/302/351W to a 351C). It got a toploader. No worries.

Like 67bluestang, I too made all the upgrades in suspension with new poly bushing, 620 springs and new shocks. Also did the 1" Shelby drop. Car handles on rails (Sub frames might have a lil to do with that too :nice:).

Good luck.