351w Build

bhutch711

Sep 22, 2013
hey everybody so im rather new to this site and not quite sure how to use it... but here goes nothing so im going to be starting a project build which i hope to put into a fox body mustang but first for the motor. i started with a 1984 f-250 with a 351w in it. i plan to disassemble the motor this weekend just trying to figure out my best options.this will be my first solo build i want the motor to put out around 375-400 hp after all said and done ive been searching online and found tons of different options but nothing that really explains what benefits i will get or exactly where to start. what would be my first steps as far as parts go is there anything specific i need to know? should i buy a complete rebuild kit or should i search for parts separately? when i bring it to the machine shop is there anything specific i should be asking them to do? does anybody recommend boring the engine? does it make that much of a difference? thank you guys for the help

• Sponsors (?)

As for things to ask the machine shop. I'd magnaflux, hot tank,line bore,etc. To maximize your build I highly recommend aftermarket alum heads,switching to a hyd roller cam,minimumly new pistons,rings,bearings,oil pump,bolts,gaskets,etc. any machine work(over boreing,turn the crank,etc) will be determined by the condition of the block. A quality machine shop should let you know what you need. I also highly recommend putting in a stroker kit if you are buying any parts of the rotating assembly. To put it in your mustang you'll also need a 351 specific oil pan,dizzy,motor mounts,etc.

Under the 5.0 tech board is gearbangers sticky on the 351'swap. It has a lot of info on doing the swap and should be required reading. It is that complete. If I was that power hungry I would not hesitate doing it and a cowl hood for clearance. Pleasec excuse the coffee free spelling.

do i need to switch out the crank shaft or will the stock crankshaft work assuming that its in good condition? like i said my goal is somewhere around 375-400 hp also any recommended rebuild kits?