351w smokes like the rings are completely wore out.

I have a 1984 351w block that has been converted to a roller motor. it has a new timing chain, new rings, bearings, pushrods, etc. I drove it out of town 3 times just fine. But one day I got mad and redlined the hell out of it. it broke my spider in 4 or 5 places and I had 4 or 5 wishbones just there, nothing holding them on to lifers. The only thing that was keeping those lifers in places was the push rods. I got on summit and got a new spider and all new dog bones, the kit was like $45 dollars and a friend gave me new lifters. I soaked them in oil for about 5 days. I put everything back together and drained the oil i had in it because when I took the intake off I know antifreeze leaked out the intake and go into the motor. And I know it had some shavings from the lifters. Well I put new oil in it and had everything back together I started it up and for some reason it smokes like I have no rings! I mean it smokes and the only idea I have is the valve seat seals got messed up also. But I remember before I took everything apart and fixed everything it didn't smoke at all it just make a bunch of ticking and rattling noises. What do you think? I think Ive got a couple bad valve seat seals. Please give me your opinion. MSD box coming soon!
1EINfuQ.jpg
XUAZo8V.jpg
0zjiyhg.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Wow! Honestly, with that much metal through the motor, it needs to come out and be disassembled and cleaned. I would bet you have metal in your bearings. What heads, cam, springs and pistons do you have? Sounds like you floated the valves pretty bad, which means you may have bent some valves and ruined some guides.

Joe

Wow! Honestly, with that much metal through the motor, it needs to come out and be disassembled and cleaned. I would bet you have metal in your bearings. What heads, cam, springs and pistons do you have? Sounds like you floated the valves pretty bad, which means you may have bent some valves and ruined some guides.

Joe
E303 trick flow springs stock pistons with moly rings

Well, It's obvious that you have no cam anymore. That lifter wiped the lobe out for sure.

I had a cam go flat on me on one of my project cars in the 90's. I drove the car for all of 20 minutes before the rocker stared clattering. When I tore the engine down, It needed a new cam, new lifters, all new bearings, the crank polished, and a new oil pump, and I got off easy.
You over-revved the engine and broke stuff. In addition to all of the metal contaminated stuff like I had, I'd bet that you have probably damaged some valves as well.

Well, It's obvious that you have no cam anymore. That lifter wiped the lobe out for sure.

I had a cam go flat on me on one of my project cars in the 90's. I drove the car for all of 20 minutes before the rocker stared clattering. When I tore the engine down, It needed a new cam, new lifters, all new bearings, the crank polished, and a new oil pump, and I got off easy.
You over-revved the engine and broke stuff. In addition to all of the metal contaminated stuff like I had, I'd bet that you have probably damaged some valves as well.
The cam is actually fine. Its not flattened out or anything luckily.
I bet anything it’s some type of valve seal.

I hope you are right, but I'd bet you are wrong. I think Mike and I are on the same page with this one. What does your oil pressure look like? On a real guage, not the factory gauge.

Joe

I just have to ask too, how high did you rev this thing? Is it an EFI car, or carb car? What, if anything, are you using to limit rpm?

Joe

That cam has to be screwed up. Over revs can cause the valves to meet the pistons.

You need to run a comoression test on that engine ASAP. It'll let you know if you have a bad cylinder. Doing a wet compression test or leak doen test will tell you if its the rings or the valves.

I did the same thing to my 347. Only one spider broke and the one lifter spun and ate itself on the cam a little less than yours did. I had an e303 cam. The camshaft was done. The valves and push rods were ok.

I've never seen a cam eat a lifter like that and survive. A cam won't make are car smoke.... you've got other problems.

I'm betting he's trying to remove the springs, so he can replace the valve seals.
I'm betting that he buys a new JY spider, a lifter, and 5 Qts of oil.
I'm betting he still thinks the engine can be saved.

It's not often that I get to use this one....
:dead:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Cut your filter apart, then tear it down and start over.
He doesn't need to cut the filter apart,..there are metal shavings in the lifter valley, a completely fragged roller lifter (where all of the remnants of that roller are now flowing through his oiling system)....That engine is deader than JFK.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
The cam is dead. No way it survived with the lifter looking like that

You can’t just put the spider and bones in a non roller block. The block has to be f4te. Or you have to use those expensive link bar lifters.
This is 100%.
Your engine had oiling issues before you revved the piss out of it. Link bar lifters are the best way to fix this. Maybe you had a reduced base cam?