Electrical 3G alternator install

a50ina50

May 31, 2016
*****Kinda need an answer ASAP*****

I am in the process of installing a 3G alternator into my 87 Notch. It had the original 2G. I cut the wires for the output plug (2 black with orange stripes and 1 white wire with black stripe). I pulled back the plastic loom and tape. The 2 black wires connected to another (1) black with orange stripe wire which was the same size wire. They were half assed joined at the factory. The three wires came apart. My question is can I just use one of the black wires with the eyelet connector onto the alternator. Or do I somehow have to connect the 3 wires back together again? Which looks to be a pain in the ass.

• Sponsors (?)

Only the white wire gets reused. You'll need a stator plug to solder to it to plug into the alt.

Two black 10g wires at the alt get taped up. You want to run a nice big charging wire from the charge post to the starter solenoid.

Reactions: 1 user
^ this. Do NOT reuse the stock 10g power wires. Only reuse the stator wire and the D shaped Plug. Run a dedicated 4g power wire with a 150 amp fuse from the solenoid to the post on the 3g. Been done 1000 times this way.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user