4.10 and Auto Tranny Shift Smoothness = other GT owners' opinions!

Predator r50c

Give Me TP said:
If you want all the automatic transmission settings to be stock set your Predator to manual. That way there will be no automatic transmission settings loaded. The ability to adjust the factory HP tune for speedometer correction using 4.10 gears works fine on my Predator with revision r50d, I did not know Diablo had a glitch with it. If you want to try r50c I can e-mail it to you. It allows for adjustments to the factory tune also.

Thanks! I think that might be a solution until they update. If you want, you can email me the r50c file. Will it work with my GT since you have a Mach? I know the Cobra's predator is different, so I wasn't sure about the Mach since it's a 4 valve.

PM me and I'll drop you my email (unless it's in my profile, I've forgotten). Thanks. :nice:

Edit: it is correct in my profile, but here it is anyway since you need to attach a file: [email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

What will a torque converter do for my car?

Pertums said:
I've been working out my plan on the AT as well and for a TC i've been looking @ http://www.protorque.com/

When I found out they were only like 20 min from me it gave them the edge since I'll be able to just go there, walk in, shake a hand and ask for their advice :)

I was looking at the converter they have for my year model (Ford AODE/4R70W
Part # PTC-11AODE) and it says it goes 2400-2800 depending on the car's power curve.

What is the stock converter on a 2003 GT rated?

Also, what difference am I going to feel and see with a torque converter upgrade?

Also, I'm not sure a "harder" shift is what I'm looking for. I'm really looking for smoother shift when daily driving. It can shift however it wants when I'm at WOT, but the daily driving shifts are what are giving me fits. I want the car to shift like the new Mustang autos do (that type of smoothness, I mean). Is this possible? I know when I had my 3.27 gears in it was smoother, but I figure there should be a way that I can leave my 4.10s in and get a good smooth daily-driving shift while having the WOT shifts stay firm.

Sounds like I'd need mainly computer adjustments, but then again, I don't know anything about automatic transmissions, torque converters, shift kits, etc. I just know what I can do to the auto with some programmers.

If I could get a seemless, undetectable shift when daily driving, that would be great. THAT is what I'm looking for. A shift that doesn't jerk the car around and doesn't make the car shudder as the gears are synching.

Red03Mustang said:
Thanks! I think that might be a solution until they update. If you want, you can email me the r50c file. Will it work with my GT since you have a Mach? I know the Cobra's predator is different, so I wasn't sure about the Mach since it's a 4 valve.

PM me and I'll drop you my email (unless it's in my profile, I've forgotten). Thanks. :nice:

Edit: it is correct in my profile, but here it is anyway since you need to attach a file: [email protected]

Will do. Version r50c is on my home computer so I'll send it later today. The Predator I use (Part #U7146) and the tunes are the same as yours.

Smoothing out the "gear hang" :) and good news!

Give Me TP said:
Will do. Version r50c is on my home computer so I'll send it later today. The Predator I use (Part #U7146) and the tunes are the same as yours.

I appreciate it! :flag:

Well, I got my Transmission oil and filter redone today. Wow! I'm glad I did. That made a nice difference. I guess my oil was getting a wee bit old, and maybe low too. My car is set to 25+ PSI on the shift firmness with my predator right now, and it's shifting smoother at 25 PSI now than it was at stock with the old fluid! So that made a nice difference. Feels new again!

I still want input about transmission mods, as I want to have a sweet auto tranny. :D Is there a mod that makes the transmission smooth when letting off the gas? That's one thing I noticed about the 4.10s is they like to make the tranny "hang on" to the gear after letting off the gas. Almost like the tranny expects the car to be heavier so that it keeps pulling ahead more or something. I know that is because the RPMs are higher from the 4.10 rear, but it would seem the computer would know to "let go" when I let off the gas. It will let go eventually, but only around 3-5 seconds later, depending on how fast I'm going. I'm talking about cruising speeds (45-60 mph).

Thanks for your help guys! I appreciate it.

As for letting the transmission become "smooth" when you let off the gas, I don't think there is much you can do about that. Even with lower gears like 4.10's, you're still going to feel somewhat of a pull once you let off the gas. As for the computer knowing when to "let go" of a gear, yes, with a new custom program for whatever gears you get, the new computer program will help with this as "letting go" of gears is a matter of electronic signals sent to certain solenoids to control line pressure that allows for engagement/disengagement of gears.

You're a wealth of tranny information, heh heh

Dark Knight GT said:
As for letting the transmission become "smooth" when you let off the gas, I don't think there is much you can do about that. Even with lower gears like 4.10's, you're still going to feel somewhat of a pull once you let off the gas. As for the computer knowing when to "let go" of a gear, yes, with a new custom program for whatever gears you get, the new computer program will help with this as "letting go" of gears is a matter of electronic signals sent to certain solenoids to control line pressure that allows for engagement/disengagement of gears.

Thanks for your help. My Predator tuner doesn't adjust for these issues, as far as I am aware. I'm not sure if a custom tune can do this or not. The may adjust things that their tuner does not allow the user to adjust - I'm not sure.

I'd love to keep my 4.10, but I don't really need them as I have no track to go to and I drive all over the place. My 3.27s would probably be best for a "road warrior". They have a good mix of low and high end. I liked the 4.10s because I rarely get over 75 mph, so no problems there. They were fine on a trip to the beach also (about 3 hours for me, 1 of them going around 70 mph).

The transmission seems set for the 3.27s still. Unless I drive the car harder than normal, the shift points hitch a little. My guess is that with the 3.27s, I am giving the car more gas at that point to get it going the same speed, so no "hitch", but with the 4.10s I am not giving the car as much gas to get going, so therefore it shifts in the same spot but sooner than it is "used" to, which might create a slight shift discrepency.

I don't know anything, that's just my assumption. :D I heard the Predator would have an upgrade that allowed for Partial Throttle Shift Point adjustments in the near future. That would help immensely in my situation and would allow me to have a smoother ride when I want it, but harder WOT shifts when I need them.

Do other tuners have Partial Throttle Shift point adjustments?

Red03Mustang said:
Thanks for your help. My Predator tuner doesn't adjust for these issues, as far as I am aware. I'm not sure if a custom tune can do this or not. The may adjust things that their tuner does not allow the user to adjust - I'm not sure.

I'd love to keep my 4.10, but I don't really need them as I have no track to go to and I drive all over the place. My 3.27s would probably be best for a "road warrior". They have a good mix of low and high end. I liked the 4.10s because I rarely get over 75 mph, so no problems there. They were fine on a trip to the beach also (about 3 hours for me, 1 of them going around 70 mph).

The transmission seems set for the 3.27s still. Unless I drive the car harder than normal, the shift points hitch a little. My guess is that with the 3.27s, I am giving the car more gas at that point to get it going the same speed, so no "hitch", but with the 4.10s I am not giving the car as much gas to get going, so therefore it shifts in the same spot but sooner than it is "used" to, which might create a slight shift discrepency.

I don't know anything, that's just my assumption. :D I heard the Predator would have an upgrade that allowed for Partial Throttle Shift Point adjustments in the near future. That would help immensely in my situation and would allow me to have a smoother ride when I want it, but harder WOT shifts when I need them.

Do other tuners have Partial Throttle Shift point adjustments?

I think if you put either the Jerry mod shift kit in the car or a hi-performance valve body, you'll notice the shifts will improve in their speed as well as engagement/disengagement of gears as the fluid will be able to flow quicker. As for other tuners having partial throttle shift point adjustments, I'm not sure. I know the Superchips tuning package, which is very expensive compared to other hand held programers allows for many adjustments. Including those small things so that is always an option.

EDIT: One more thing. Unless if you're planning on going with boost in the future, or you're worried about every last mile of gas mileage, I'de keep the 4.10's. No sense in getting in there to put the stock 3.27's in and waste your money in the process. Just my .02 cents.

Dark Knight GT said:
One more thing. Unless if you're planning on going with boost in the future, or you're worried about every last mile of gas mileage, I'de keep the 4.10's. No sense in getting in there to put the stock 3.27's in and waste your money in the process. Just my .02 cents.

True. I would love to keep the 4.10s in. :D They are fuuuun!

I'll look into that stuff. Thanks a lot!

Give Me TP said:

Dang. Their "c" revision has the bug too. It must have traveled down the entire line of revisions. :mad:

So, I can't use Factory HP Tune, even with "C".

Guess I'll go install the "Diablo Tune" again. I'm not bothering with going back to "D". I'll just wait until they up the revision with a fix and Partial Throttle Shift Points adjustments. :notnice:

I've been waiting forever for a revision from Diablosport.

Thanks anyway for the help man.

My biggest problem ever since the 4.10 install is that my car doesn't like to downshift now. I can be cruising on 3rd gear, then stomp on the pedal to accelerate, but the tranny doesn't downshift at all. It just stays on 3rd and lags (revs very slowly). Because of this, I often have to "manually" downshift to 2nd in order to take off quickly from a roll.

From my experience, the 4.10s have only been helpful when accelerating from a stop. But my car now totally sucks when it comes to taking off from a roll. :notnice:

Red03Mustang said:
Dang. Their "c" revision has the bug too. It must have traveled down the entire line of revisions. :mad:

So, I can't use Factory HP Tune, even with "C".

Guess I'll go install the "Diablo Tune" again. I'm not bothering with going back to "D". I'll just wait until they up the revision with a fix and Partial Throttle Shift Points adjustments. :notnice:

I've been waiting forever for a revision from Diablosport.

Thanks anyway for the help man.

Really? I recently used the Factory HP tune option with modifications in version r50d, and I might have done it with r50c, but since I didn't have to go into automatic settings that doesn't mean much.

Speedo reset only? (for auto)

02LaserRed2V said:
My biggest problem ever since the 4.10 install is that my car doesn't like to downshift now. I can be cruising on 3rd gear, then stomp on the pedal to accelerate, but the tranny doesn't downshift at all. It just stays on 3rd and lags (revs very slowly). Because of this, I often have to "manually" downshift to 2nd in order to take off quickly from a roll.

From my experience, the 4.10s have only been helpful when accelerating from a stop. But my car now totally sucks when it comes to taking off from a roll. :notnice:

Stock stangs are just meant to be manuals. :D

I would say the stock auto has a "sporty" shift feel to it. I think I will call my Ford dealer and see what they will charge to reflash my speedo for 4.10, and I'll take my predator tune completely out.

Or should I just look into a speedcal, or something of that nature? Some item/product that resets the speedometer and nothing else?

Thanks.

o3redfire said:
I had 410's in my auto and hated them, same issues, I switched to 373's and couldn't be happier, kb helps though ! I'm no expert, but it sounds like the torque converter lockup or something....

I've heard of Torque Converter "shudder". Could this be the issue? If so, how is this fixed? Would a new torque converter fix the issue, or does the computer need to be adjusted?

i think if you got a custom tune you would be set because they can change the part throttle shifts. But call diablo and ask them if a cusotm tune will fix your problem. If you got a valve body your tranny would shift a lot quicker and harder then it does now so that might not be what you want. And i wouldnt get a torque converter unless you really want more performance but it wont help you if your just cruising around all the time and not racing

What makes a transmission shift smoothly?

Mustangl3 said:
i think if you got a custom tune you would be set because they can change the part throttle shifts. But call diablo and ask them if a cusotm tune will fix your problem. If you got a valve body your tranny would shift a lot quicker and harder then it does now so that might not be what you want. And i wouldnt get a torque converter unless you really want more performance but it wont help you if your just cruising around all the time and not racing

Thanks for the info. I'm not really looking for a monster car. I'm wanting to go more the looks route with it now. The 4.10's torque and the exhaust are pretty much all I am interested in doing do it. It costs enough to maintain the car as it is. :rolleyes:

I think I might be interested in an SCT tuner, since it programs partial-throttle shift points. That way I could do it myself. I'd rather do that than pay diablosport $100 more to do custom tunes... but then again, that is $375+ for an XCalibrator 2 programmer. :(

Basically I just want to get rid of the shudder my car has with normal shifting and smooth the shifts out as much as possible. What I need to do that, I don't know. That's what I really need to know - what will make my car shift very smooth for a daily driver? Considering I have 4.10s of course.

Red03Mustang said:
Stock stangs are just meant to be manuals. :D

I would say the stock auto has a "sporty" shift feel to it. I think I will call my Ford dealer and see what they will charge to reflash my speedo for 4.10, and I'll take my predator tune completely out.

Well since then, I had my KB installed and Tim B. (Cobra Killer) tuned my car, via SCT. Let's just say my auto shifting have been GREATLY improved. The shifts are also a LOT firmer (MUCH HARDER than the Predator tune), especially during WOT. During normal driving, I now have to "feather" the throttle or the shifting will still be VERY hard. While cruising (20-40mph), my auto doesn't go into OD too quickly like it once did; it stays in 3rd. Also, it now downshifts whenever I stomp on it. So basically, 4.10s on an auto DO rock....if you have the right tune. :nice:

SCT tune > Diablosport Predator tune. If I were you, I'd go for it! There is no comparison.

And looking back, a stock auto was basically made for granny drivers. My auto GT is a whole different animal now.

I am getting 4.10's and I bought the Superchips blue chip a while ago and it was the best thing for my tranny It chirps second with stock gears So I can't wait untill I get the handheld SCT tuner with the Gears!