4:10 gears for 01 GT

lukestang03

Aug 26, 2018
Maryland
Hey all, I’m looking to install 4:10 ford performance gears in my 01 mustang GT automatic. I want to know if there is anything else I should be installing with the gears to make sure it’s done right, such as supporting mods. I’ve seen mixed responses, everything from just have the gears installed and it’ll be fine, to others saying that I will also need to have a shift kit and transmission cooler installed to properly run 4:10 gears. What is everybody’s take on this? Just trying to do it right the first time but also not spend any unnecessary money.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

A tranny cooler would be nice especially with the 4.10's, of course your climate and driving habits can enter into it. Racing definitely needed. Also some big meats in the back lol. You do realize with the 4.10's and the super low first gear along with the torque multiplication for the torque converter is going to make traction more difficult. I have seen recommendations of 3.73 for the AT and 4.10 for the stick, but there are OP that have done it happily.
Here is something that might help:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/what-is-a-j-mod.html