4.10s and FRPP Hot Rod cams

So my stang is in the shop right now due to a recent run-in with some black ice. thankfully it is being covered by my insurance. i found out today that i bent the left rear axle and that the rear differential will be coming apart. i have 3.73s in the rear now and since they will need to be swapped into a new unit, labor would be free if i decided to throw in some 4.10s. I have money saved up for the FRPP cams so i was wondering if you guys think it will be a good investment to swap the 4.10s in. I drive about 200 miles roundtrip one weekend out of the month to get to drill. Aside from that i do about 90% of my driving below 60mph. Are the cams and 4.10s a good combo or am i just gonna piss money down thee drain and put more revolutions on my motor?

also any of you with the cams, how do you like them?

thanks in advance for any input. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

This is what Chris Rose of American Muscle stated on another site: For a cam that's about power more than it is about sound, Comp NSR Stage 2's all the way. We've got them on our site, and run the crap out of them on cars to make 15-25RWHP without batting an eye. DR's or Hot Rod cams may have a choppier idle, but typically make a LITTLE less horsepower (5 RWHP or so) compared to a grind with a higher lift.

Gman, you do realize that the hot rod has a higher lift than the comps, don't you? The hot rods have a 12mm lift which translates to .472 whereas the comps are a .450. So I'm a little confused as to what Chris is saying. I trust him because that's where I get my tunes but it doesn't make any sense considering the hit rods have more lift. If I have 5 less horsepower so be it, I do want the good cammed idle too.

Also I realize I said "pesky" comp cams earlier, it was supposed to be peaky. Haha.

I do know that hot rods have a higher lift. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Like you I do have tunes from American Muscle and it when I called them, it was them that persuaded me to go with the comps. I told them that my car is a d/d but it does I do take it to the track. I forgot who I talked to on the phone, but he said go with the comps if you are going to take it to the track. I don't know if I would call the peaky. The pull in the mid RPM range pretty hard and my hp peaks right at 6000 RPMS.

well i guess all thats left is for me to make a decision. i plan on making the purchase within a month. i'll be sure to update this thread with my decision, a few videos, and hopefully track times. thanks to everyone for your input.

You can't really go wrong with either. I think the Comps would be a little easier to drive in traffic. A friend of mine has 4.10s and hot rods and he said it's a little bit of PITA to drive in traffic. Also the comps are about $100 cheaper.

Well I got my 4.10s in today and dropped them by the shop. I should have my baby back in another week. i cant wait. once i have her back i'll be putting my HIDs in and then getting the hot rods.

and for anyone who is interested, American Muscle has 5% off on all their FRPP stuff. go to their facebook page for more info. i'll be ordereing mine tomorrow.

also, do you guys know if i can rent the valve spring compressor and timing chain wedge for the cam install?

:flag:

Well I got my 4.10s in today and dropped them by the shop. I should have my baby back in another week. i cant wait. once i have her back i'll be putting my HIDs in and then getting the hot rods.

and for anyone who is interested, American Muscle has 5% off on all their FRPP stuff. go to their facebook page for more info. i'll be ordereing mine tomorrow.

also, do you guys know if i can rent the valve spring compressor and timing chain wedge for the cam install?

:flag:

This may help:
YouTube - redneck cam timing wedge.MPG