4.10s or 3.73s with a twist

95snoozer

Dec 14, 2002
RCR
ah i love these threads. first of all let me start by saying if youare the typical person who thinks 4.10s are too much for all motor, please dont even post in this thread.

I have 3.73s right now and a shot rearthat vibrates the whole drivetrain above 80 and will wear out the u joints again if it continues. I need 4.10s or actually even 4.30s maximize my current all motor setup.

second: labor is not an issue, my friend will put them in for a case of beer and he has a set of new 4.10s that he will give me for 50 bucks.

now the deal is I am not doing any speed mods for a year, at least nothing that will net more than 1-2 mph. Hopefully i will have either a blower in a year because i graduate in december and i will ideally have a good paying job within 6 months of graduating.

at this time i could put my 3.73s back in or get a fresh set of 3.73s or 3.55s even 3.27s if i run turboedstock cam setup.

so should i put 4.10s in now to enjoy the setup more in town or just hang out with the 3.73s until an S trim sits in my engine bay. This is most likely what will happen.

please do not bother telling me what power adder i should get;)

• Sponsors (?)

95snoozer said:
labor is not an issue, my friend will put them in for a case of beer
Question answered ! Labor is the biggest headache w/things like this. So what if you swap gears like others swap tires, if you've got a buddy that will do it for cheap. Now just how far are you from Maryland and what kinda beer does your buddy drink?

If the gears are new in the box, do it! If their used, i'd keep the 373. I'm all for buying used part, but gears are something i'd NEVER buy used. Last you told me, you weren't gonna be racing anymore. I'd like to do 4.10's as well. My new combo is gonna want to be shifted around 6600 rpm, so I want more gear. I think 4.10's are too much for you davis :lol:

mo_dingo said:
It would be absolutely pointless if you are going to need to swap back to 3.73's or even lower. Just wait till you get the blower and change the gears then if need be.
Scott
well i think his rear needs to be torn apart anyways (unless i misread 1st post) and if you can get free/cheap labor why not throw in the 4.10's

Joes95GT said:
Why? I guess you've never heard of rollout?

Joe

The circumference of the tire in the response to this question isn't what is playing into this decision. It was generally suggested to run a bigger tire to drop the ending trap rpm...but if it is the daily driver that shouldn't be a reason to select a gear alone. Band-aid.

5spd GT said:
The circumference of the tire in the response to this question isn't what is playing into this decision. It was generally suggested to run a bigger tire to drop the ending trap rpm...but if it is the daily driver that shouldn't be a reason to select a gear alone. Band-aid.
LOL. You make no sense. I didn't say put a 5.14 gear in it. I said use a 4.10, then, when it starts to get too big, put a bigger tire in the rear (if possible). I don't understand where you're coming from. I don't band-aid...

And putting a 65mm TB on a street car with tons of airspeed isn't a band-aid for all these tuning "problems" you had, is it? :rolleyes:

Joe

Joes95GT said:
LOL. You make no sense. I didn't say put a 5.14 gear in it. I said use a 4.10, then, when it starts to get too big, put a bigger tire in the rear (if possible). I don't understand where you're coming from. I don't band-aid...

I know you didn't say that...but if your already "considering" that the 410 could be to much gear (as inferred by the rollout comment)...then why try to "band-aid" it with a different size tire then what might not be optimum for street use????

Joes95GT said:
And putting a 65mm TB on a street car with tons of airspeed isn't a band-aid for all these tuning "problems" you had, is it? :rolleyes:

What are you talking about? Tuning problems?

mo_dingo said:
It would be absolutely pointless if you are going to need to swap back to 3.73's or even lower. Just wait till you get the blower and change the gears then if need be.
Scott

let me get this straight... going faster is pointless?

pelase leave this site :rlaugh:

oh yeah and bigger tire will hook better ....

more sidewall of a 27 inch slick will take a good hit on form a blower car with 15 pounds, as my car will be in the not so distant future.