4.10s vs 4.30s Flowmaster exhaust note

• Sponsors (?)

What's your greatest concern?

Since you do a lot of highway driving, are you more concerned with saving a few bucks on gas? If so, go with the 4.10s. The local Cobra guru here recommends 4.30 for NA Cobras. These cars make power in the higher RPM range, so the quicker you get into the power band the better.

I can't see the 4.10 vs. 4.30 making a world of difference for daily drivers. If you are a weekend warrior, go with the 4.30.

I use 4.10s in my 99 since I was thinking about adding a blower later on. It's a world of difference from the 3.27 gears that were in there!

You can play with this online calculator to see what your RPMs would be like at different speeds in various gears. This way you can see whether your typical cruising speed will be in the "drone" range. Don't forget to have your speedometer corrected as well!

http://www.svtoa-atlanta.org/cgi-bin/trans.cgi

I have a 99 cobra with straight pipes on and everything else is stock. It drones around 2k rpms at 70, but when I push it up to 80 (2.3k rpm), the drone goes away.

After reading this today and driving around a bit i did notice a little drone at about 2k aswell, its not really annoying just noticable.

As for gears I would go w/ 4.10's, they are almost to much for a DD IMO opinion but i like the quickness through the RPM and off the line/light factor enough to make them worth it to me.

What is this drone you guys speak of?
At approximately 2000 RPM's many aftermarket cat back exhaust systems will have a definite hum or drone in the exhaust note. This can get very annoying when driving for extended periods at highway speeds where the RPM's stay right at this "sweet spot". This annoying tone that drills into your brain after a while is known as then exhaust drone.

drone - 1. to make a dull, continued, low, monotonous sound; hum; buzz.

U.M.

At approximately 2000 RPM's many aftermarket cat back exhaust systems will have a definite hum or drone in the exhaust note. This can get very annoying when driving for extended periods at highway speeds where the RPM's stay right at this "sweet spot". This annoying tone that drills into your brain after a while is known as then exhaust drone.

drone - 1. to make a dull, continued, low, monotonous sound; hum; buzz.

U.M.

Thanx for clearing that up man...