4.6 Camshaft upgrade

blackstalion666

Mar 31, 2005
New Jersey
We'll Iv'e been toying with the idea of installing cams in the stang. Was wondering if anyone has any info of the power gain with cams. have been looking at the comp cams stage II since its only driven now and then. Plus i was wondering if i would have to port the heads to see a gain from them. any info would be great thanks, Ed heres a lit of what i already have done.
2003 Mustang GT convertible
Pulleys
K@N airfilter and cold air intake
bbk 75mm TB
C@L intake elbow
Diablo predator tuner
Bassanni catted X-pipe
SLP loudmouth cat back exhuast
75 shot of NOS
3:73 gears
was able to get a 12.8 at 108 mph spinning in first
newest mod after that run has been Eibach drag springs but have'nt been back to run it yet.

• Sponsors (?)

We'll Iv'e been toying with the idea of installing cams in the stang. Was wondering if anyone has any info of the power gain with cams. have been looking at the comp cams stage II since its only driven now and then. Plus i was wondering if i would have to port the heads to see a gain from them. any info would be great thanks, Ed heres a lit of what i already have done.
2003 Mustang GT convertible
Pulleys
K@N airfilter and cold air intake
bbk 75mm TB
C@L intake elbow
Diablo predator tuner
Bassanni catted X-pipe
SLP loudmouth cat back exhuast
75 shot of NOS
3:73 gears
was able to get a 12.8 at 108 mph spinning in first
newest mod after that run has been Eibach drag springs but have'nt been back to run it yet.

You can expect to see 25-35WHP from cams. Porting the heads I'm not sure...

Did you run 12.8 on street tires or DR's?!:eek:

Just finished a cam upgrade to Comp 262AHs in my 02 GT. Dyno gained 20rwHP peak to peak (~250 -> ~270) and more than 30 near 6000 with a dyno tune. I left the stock springs in place. Stock PI heads have never been off the car. Car has little else done:

- K&N FIPK-II
- Accufab 70mm TB and upper plenum
- MRT catted H
- Steeda catback
- March piggybacks
- 3.73:1 rear

and now I can say

- Comp XE262AH cams :D

Unfortunately, right after they were done the car went into winter storage so I won't be able to drive the thing until March or April...

I would do the cams if I were you. I installed comp cams 270's and am very happy with them. I don’t know how much power they added since I didn’t get to the dyno yet. Not only will it make power but they sounds awesome.

If you do this MAKE SURE you DEGREE the cams. You will have problems if you do not.