Cam question(sorry)

I know its been asked about 1000 times, but I am deployed and my rock star internet takes about 10 minutes to load a page, so its frustrating to say the least. I havent been able to find a thread with all my all of my answer yet, but have only loaded about 5 or 6 posts so far, so i figured i would just ask, so i only have to open 1 thread. :rlaugh: Most threads i've found talk about over all power gains, and head swaps at the same time. Niether of which are my concern.

My wife and I just picked up a 1994 Cobra for her to have a toy. Its my 5th 5.0 mustang(85 GT, 89 LX, 94 Cobra, 94 GT), but her first. Its mostly stock, with just drop springs, FRPP shorty headers, bassanni catted x-pipe and flowmaster catback. It does have 144,000 miles, but is honestly the cleanest cobra i've come across. Much nicer than my old one, with only 88,000 on it.

Anyways, she remembers my old cobra and wants a similar idle and such. My old cobra had an e-cam to start with a KB but had a regular 5.0 motor with e7 heads. I detonated #7 and replaced the motor with a forged shortblock and GT40p heads and an x-cam. So she wants it sound something like that car. Power is not the end goal, drivability and sound are. I want a cam i can install and not sweat having it tuned. Without going to 1.6 rockers what are my options? I am ok with an alphabet cam again if need be, but am willing to look at other optiosn. I was planning on upgrading valve springs at the same time as the cam swap. other than the cam, already listed mods, and some 3.73's the car wont be getting any other mods. We already have a fastish rig at home(low low 12 second lightning), and dont need two. It wont be a daily driver, just a sunny day windows down cruiser. Thanks for any info guys.

Dusten

• Sponsors (?)

Hello there.

With most current cam out there, i believe most of them needs to be tuned for idle quality, especially with 94-95 computer.

I had to get my car tuned when i installed my cam which i was trying to get away from, it started and drove, but it would stall time to time and got annoying. I am sure your wife doesnt want to stall out of nowhere.

If you are on a budget, and not wanting to spend $300+, i would take a look at TFS 1 or F cam. they are cheap and they sound good :)

be careful where ever you are stationed at and Good luck :)

Budget isnt an issue. I just dont have a shop I trust up here to tune my car. My truck was tuned by a shop that is out of business and I will be doing the email/datalog tuning process on it when i get home. Due to the lack of a hand held tuner, that isnt really an option for the 94-95's.

Budget isnt an issue. I just dont have a shop I trust up here to tune my car. My truck was tuned by a shop that is out of business and I will be doing the email/datalog tuning process on it when i get home. Due to the lack of a hand held tuner, that isnt really an option for the 94-95's.

if budget is not an issue, then call flowtech induction (ed curtis) or camshaft innovations (jay allen) and tell them what you want

for the tuning, call don lasota at lasotaracing.com

peace

You older cobra combo(forged shortblock and GT40p heads and an x-cam) did not need a tune?

How about this cam if you are using the 1.7 rockers

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.c...ategory_id=191&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Here is the vid i found idling
YouTube - Mustang Idle

OR N-21

YouTube - mustang idle clip
The car actually ran quite well on the 24lb injectors, 9.5:1 compression, and full bolt ons(ignition, exhaust, intake). I guess I lucked out, because i had the same combo in a fox and it it stalled more often than i was comfortable with.

if budget is not an issue, then call flowtech induction (ed curtis) or camshaft innovations (jay allen) and tell them what you want

for the tuning, call don lasota at lasotaracing.com

peace

While budget isn't a concern, i dont see the need to spend the money on a custom cam. Not when i consider the goals i have for the car. Thanks for the link on tuning, i shot him an email.

ANY cam you put in there is gonna lope :)

I've seen many say the Steeda #19 works without a tune :shrug:

You can find a LOTS of stuff about that cam for your research on any
of the Stang boards when you get a better internet connection

Grady

Grady, i appreciate the help. I managed to get an email off to anderson asking about the N-21, and they said i should be able to run the B-21 without a tune. I figure i'll go that route, with new springs, and if drivability suffers i will get with either lacosta or amazon about a tune for it.

I know your focus is on the lope sound at idle
but
If you go the tune route

I'd pick a more aggressive cam than that store bought stick :Word:

You'd get lope at idle for sure
and
You'd pick up more performance

Of course, you'd spend more money :(

I just wanted to let you know that if you tune .........
don't settle for a milk toast cam :rlaugh:

You know :D
Kill two birds with one stone
Have your cake and eat it too
etc

Grady

I dont plan on going to a tune unless my milk/toast cam causes issues. As i said earlier performance isnt a huge deal. My lightning is almost 2 seconds faster than the cobra is, and with the miles on the engine, if i want performance i will build a stroker and put a good set of heads on it, with some forced induction.

Thumper cams have a nice to them or if you are really opposed to going back to the x-cam, the F-cam has a similar sound but is more mild.

No he did not rip me off I got my cam from FTI but Jay has ripped off a lot of people. I dont think its to well known yet but Camshaft innovations is pretty much done even though his website is still up as though hes running a straight up business. There is a big thread over on yellowbullet.com about the whole thing. its 0ver 50 pages long and at the start you really feel bad for jay but by the end of it you hate the guy. Most of the hate stuff falls in around page 40ish. Yellowbullet.com Camshaft section and the thread on Camshaft innovations

It was not proven but a lot were saying that he had been faking his so called sickness. After what much of what was proven I would not have doubted it to much. There are people who have thousands and thousands of dollars tied up in work he owes them, he has their money, they don't have their parts. Either way I would not advise doing any business with Jay Allen (camshaft innovations)

yeah exactly. At first you think a few of those guys posting about him are complete A holes but as it moves along you see that they end up being more right then not. And its not just one guy making baseless accusations its quite a few people chiming in saying how jay did rip them off or someone that they knew, one guy even provided e-mails. Either way his site is still up and running as though hes a good business when clearly it is not. I would just hate to see any stang owner send any money to him. His advertisement was also taken off from Hardcore5.0.

I just dont think this information is wide spread around the forums on the internet yet. Other then yellow bullet I have not read to much about this whole thing. Just seems like when anyone mentions "custom Cam" they throw out Jay allen and Ed Curtis just b/c they are both so well known. From the looks of it that list needs to be shortened down to just Ed Curtis (even though there are lots of companies that can make custom cams, but its all about the knowledge going into it)

I just noticed over on corral that there is a thread regarding this same thing. So the word is getting around now that Jay is a dill hole