4.6 to 302/351 swap

I have a 96 mustang with the 4.6 2v and I was thinking about swaping a carbed 302 or 351 into it. Was wondering what kind of problems I would run into by doing this, any help will be great. Also will everything bolt up?

• Sponsors (?)

You'll have to get a k member with 5.0 mounts, wiring and computer...wont be too hard...

But why nit just a build the 2v? With the same amount of money you'll use to get the swap done you'll have a 2v that can stomp any 302 or 351 around and the motor will be twice as reliable

Mite as well upgrade the k member. Then you can run whatever headers you like with that 351. Get the 302 harness to keep the EFI.

Personally unless it was a built 351 that had $10,000 or more into it i would just do a 5.4 swap and save myself alot of work.

But this is a hobby.....So if you wanna toss a carb on a Spaceship DO IT. I do many things that aren't very practical for other people but thats usually when i'm doing for myself.

There's a guy on here with a white 99+ convertible on here that put a efi 5.0 in his. He would probably be the best to talk to seeing how he has hands on experience swapping k members and changing wiring etc.

Well I've honestly never messed with a 4.6 before this one and Ive already got a built 351 laying around. Was just curious to see if it would bolt up, thanks.

oh gotcha..since you already have the engine, then all you need is a k member for the 96-04 cars with 5.0 motor mounts and you're ready to rock... shouldnt be a very hard swap to do at all..

I realize that you're asking for technical info and not advice on whether or not it should be done.....but it is situations like this that I just can't help but throw in my 0.02

For the amount of money and time that it requires to swap in a motor like your 351, you could build your 4.6 2V to be a hell of a lot faster and much more reliable. If you're just interested in the idea that you would have a big 351 in yur car as opposed to overall performance, then I suppose that swap is a good idea :shrug:

A properly built Windsor will outpower a 4.6 2v any day of the week. There really is no comparison to that. You can actually build one for about the same price as a Modular. The kicker is, it wont have the reliability/driveability of a Modular.

Reactions: 1 user
A properly built Windsor will outpower a 4.6 2v any day of the week. There really is no comparison to that. You can actually build one for about the same price as a Modular. The kicker is, it wont have the reliability/driveability of a Modular.

I agree. Personally when it comes to "driveability" i just hop in my Town Car. My mustang is for raw power. Just something about a powerful lopey idle.

This is why there are new houses built with fireplaces. Not because its cleaner but because of the enjoyment factor. Then again my car is far from a daily driver.

A properly built Windsor will outpower a built and blown/turbo 4.6 2V?????

A properly built Windsor will outpower a built and blown/turbo 4.6 2V?????

Yes.

A person can build a Windsor long block for about the same amount that a person can build a 4.6 2v long block. At that point, your talking about putting a blower/turbo on either a 281 cubic inch motor, or a blower/turbo on a 408 cubic inch motor.

And really and truely, most 4.6 2v's I see end up making around 550ish to the wheels after a person build a short block, and puts a power adder on it. A properly built 408 will make that power n/a.

Like I said tho, The windsor will not have the reliability or the driveability of the modular.

Yes.

A person can build a Windsor long block for about the same amount that a person can build a 4.6 2v long block. At that point, your talking about putting a blower/turbo on either a 281 cubic inch motor, or a blower/turbo on a 408 cubic inch motor.

And really and truely, most 4.6 2v's I see end up making around 550ish to the wheels after a person build a short block, and puts a power adder on it. A properly built 408 will make that power n/a.

Like I said tho, The windsor will not have the reliability or the driveability of the modular.

All things being equal, I can see that being true. However, my posts included the fact that the 4.6 is obviously already in the car and the cost associated with swapping in the 351. For the amount of money that would be spent to swap in a pushrod 351, the 4.6 could be made to be much faster and more reliable :shrug:

All things being equal, I can see that being true. However, my posts included the fact that the 4.6 is obviously already in the car and the cost associated with swapping in the 351. For the amount of money that would be spent to swap in a pushrod 351, the 4.6 could be made to be much faster and more reliable :shrug:

+1.

Let's face it: Both engines can be built to make more than sufficient power for a street car. 500rwHP is easily within the grasp of either engine but if I wanted 600rwHP or more I'd personally want the modular platform if the goal was to stay with an OEM Ford block. Given, as you say, that the engine and all supporting hardware is already there it makes more sense to stay modular.

Do 351Ws have the same "split block" problems that thin-wall casting 302 blocks suffer at elevated power levels?

They can, the later model 351W blocks are just as thin as the 302's in the mains and lifter valley, they tend to crack in similar spots if the crank walks. The 351W have their own issues, oiling to the front lifters, 3" journal has increased bearing speed, etc..all of those things can be worked with however with some custom plumbing, clearances, etc...

The stock modular blocks just take more power in most cases, Id build the 2v or look into a 4v swap personally. Dont be afraid of the mod motor, there is a reason I switched from my 360ci 351 based set-up to this 32v......:D

well I personally want to get rid of my 2v I have 6000 dollars in the upper end I have had nothing but trouble with the hole thing I like the motor but every time I turn around I need to do something to it it is cheaper to build a 351 or a 302 when you start looking at all the gaskets it is expensive one head gasket is 150 dollars with my oreillys employee discount I just rebuilt my 2v I had over 750 dollars in gaskets I will say I still get 28 miles a gallon if you drive it right and I'm sitting at 305 rear wheel horse poe
They can, the later model 351W blocks are just as thin as the 302's in the mains and lifter valley, they tend to crack in similar spots if the crank walks. The 351W have their own issues, oiling to the front lifters, 3" journal has increased bearing speed, etc..all of those things can be worked with however with some custom plumbing, clearances, etc...

The stock modular blocks just take more power in most cases, Id build the 2v or look into a 4v swap personally. Dont be afraid of the mod motor, there is a reason I switched from my 360ci 351 based set-up to this 32v......:D

Just wondering how different the experience would have been if the $6,000 went to a supercharger kit.

This also is an example of the "dark side" of modding. Contrary to what many people may think, the Ford designers are not dumb. Building something always involves a series of trade offs. When going for high horsepower, frequently reliability and/or drivability is sacrificed. IMO it's naive it expect a highly modded car to drive like a factory car. Or if factory drivabilty is one of the goals, be prepared to do much more homework.

The problem with these swap a 4.6 for 302 threads is that many of the details are glossed over. What are the HP goals? What is the budget? How do you expect the car to drive when done? IE will it drive like a race car or will your Wife/GF be able to drive it? Does it have to pass inspection?

What about the other "systems" in the car? Do you expect the AC work work? Door locks? Speedometer? Automatic transmission to shift? Cruise control? Radio? Anti-theft? An often over looked detail is that in today's cars the PCM controls much more than the motor. Just try an bypass the PCM computer and find out.

IMO possibly one of the most important question should be, "who is doing the work?". Why? Because if the idea is to pay someone else to do it, modding quickly becomes a "rich man's" hobby.

<end rant>

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user