4 Cyl Swap, Front Strut Question.

modulistic

Nov 26, 2002
In the middle of swapping the front end over. I grabbed the entire strut assembly including the three bolts and top plate, thinking the perches were the same. Was very startled that it doesn't fit, as I thought the bodies were the same between 4 cyl and 5.0. So question is, will the 5.0 strut take the 4 cyl mount, or should I get two new 4 cyl struts? Which strut do I go with, it appears I must use the 4 cyl mount and top plate?

Going to get a new steering rack. They have a 2.25 lock to lock rack in stock. Will this work for the 4 cylinder body? Do I get the rack for the 4 cyl or the 5.0

Donor car is an 87 gt, receiver is a 92 4 cyl?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The bodies are the same, I didn't have any issues installing all the v8 suspension components in my 89 (was a 4 cyl). What perch are you talking about, at the top of the strut tower, or on the control arm? The v8 steering rack is more responsive, but also requires the v8 steering pump.

You need to swap out the front control arms and spindles as well. The control arms are different between the 2 and the spindles allow you to use the larger brakes from the 5.0 car. Also consider swapping out the rear end from the 5.o car. I have read that if you unbolt the brake lines and drums, they will match up to the 8.8 rear from the 5.o. I haven't had the chance to do it for myself yet so please don't that it as fact, just worth a try.

The 4-cyl/early V8 and 87-93 V8 struts are not the same, because the pad that accepts the strut on 4-cyl spindles is a lot thicker than the one on and 87-93 V8 spindles. You can put 4-cyl struts on 87-93 V8 spindles if you use spacers to take up the space, but you can't put 87-93 V8 struts on 4-cyl spindles.

Reactions: 1 user
Redla,

The caster/camber plate at the top is completely different. The three bolts that you see from inside the engine compartment won't fit up into the three holes in the shock tower in the 4cyl. I just took the hardware off the 4cyl strut, put it on the v8 strut and put it in. Seems to fit ok. Spindles are swapped over. Not sure if I need to do the LCA's, as everything is fitting together well at this point, and I'm not sure if the 5.0 LCA's will fit the 4 cyl kframe.​

Cadams,

Thanks, got the 8.8 swapped over along with the brake and fuel lines. I'm surprised at how much grief the front end is giving me.

Mfe

You are correct, for some reason the struts are quite different and would not swap without extensive grinding or a spacer. The shock towers are very different, I hope this doesn't create a big problem in alignment.

IMAG0615_zps7fec0277.jpg

sorry for the bad pic, but here you can see the v8 camber plate laid on top of the 4cyl. the two bolt holes in the back are inserted, but you can see the alignment is off on the front. after measuring the shock towers, they appear to be dimensionally the same. Im not sure if I need to drill out the shock tower, or just go with the camber plate that came with the vehicle. I just measured the lower control arms, and they appear to be identical between the two vehicles.

hmm. so the towers measure the same. the diff between the 5.0 and the 4 cyl is where the holes are drilled. the single hole is drilled a little less than 3 inches in on the 4 cyl and a little less than 3.5 inches on the 5.0. Probably due to different strut angles on the spindle. I think I am going to go with the 4cyl camber plates and hope there is enough adjustment to get it all into spec. I will run it by the alignment shop and see what they say. may have to get the drill out or purchase some adjustable plates.

unless an expert chimes in here.

as for the steering rack, does anyone know for sure if any v8 fox body rack will swap in?

Its not a difference in engines as much as years. If you look closely at caster camberplates you will see them listed for specific years. I believe it was 1990 don't quite me, that they changed the caster camber plate design. I would recommend a set of aftermarket plates to cure your woes. They are easier to align and your 20 some year old rubber bushing stock ones are probably ready to buy the farm.

Thanks 84T, that clears it up. Do you recommend any particular cc plates? I probably really need to go with them, because the donor car is/was lowered, and the lowering springs are coming over to the recipient car.

cadams,

I think you are right, I am going to try the one the local parts store has in stock. P/S pump will be coming over with the 5.0.

God I forgot what a pain in the ass these front coil springs are. and you are constantly in fear that they are going to come flying out and kill you while you are piecing everything back together.