4R70W Amateur Seeks Advice

2k3gt

Apr 20, 2003
York, ME
Since I'm not going for a tranny swap, there are apparently a few mods I need to do in order to turn my factory slushbox into a street/strip auto. Can anyone help explain to me which of these I'd need, or don't need? Car is DD by the way, so nothing too extreme.

Transmission Cooler: #1 priority, I'm going to get this done first. Car already has 37,000 HARD driven miles on the odometer since leaving the dealership in my hands. I'm talking infrequent, aggressive downshifts, and very frequent WOT runs. Is it almost too late to help?

Trans-Go Shift Kit: To my understanding this will "firm" up my shift points, will it allow me more control in shifting based on the pedal/throttle position? I really don't like how my car shifts from the factory, or how it sometimes decides to upshift/downshift/OD unnecessarily.

Torque Converter/Stall Kit: Now, silly question, but are these the same thing? Will I need both, if not? How does a 2800 RPM stall kit work... can I turn it on and off, or will I be launching at 2800 from every stoplight for the rest of the part's life?

Thanks in advance for helpful answers... I do plan on going FI eventually, hopefully within the next year/year and a half. (I was going to go straight for a KB 1.7, but i figure it'd be smarter to do all the bolt ons plus a forged bottom end before going for turbo or 2.2 KB).

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Yes on the cooler.

Yes on the stall converter, but I'd go with a 3200 stall. I got a 2800-3000 and it drives well on the street but I wish I got more. You won't be launching at the stall speed. It will drive like normal on the street. It really comes into play when you do a sudden throttle input. Light throttle inputs will feel normal/stock.

I'd opt for a handheld tuner instead of a shift kit. A tuner like SCT's Xcalibrator2 will let you dial in the shift points and shift firmness all day long until you are happy with it. Most shift kits have maybe 3 settings and you're stuck with that.

propellerhead said:
Yes on the cooler.

Yes on the stall converter, but I'd go with a 3200 stall. I got a 2800-3000 and it drives well on the street but I wish I got more. You won't be launching at the stall speed. It will drive like normal on the street. It really comes into play when you do a sudden throttle input. Light throttle inputs will feel normal/stock.

I'd opt for a handheld tuner instead of a shift kit. A tuner like SCT's Xcalibrator2 will let you dial in the shift points and shift firmness all day long until you are happy with it. Most shift kits have maybe 3 settings and you're stuck with that.

i agree with proprllerhead on what he wrote and here is a link on th einstall i did on a tranny cooler :nice:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=615808

Thanks for the responses. I've considered a handheld tuner... but I pretty much only know the basics about the stang--I don't think I'm competent or experienced enough to be tuning it.

Things like advancing/retarding timing and such are pretty intimidating for me at this point. Would it still be the smartest choice?

Chip or tuner is a better choice as suggested above. I actually have both a shift kit and chip. Both improved shifting, but the chip gives some more power and adjusts shift points.

Only have a shift kit installed by someone that does a lot of tranny work.

Dont be scared of tuners. They are easy and safe.

How have you fixed your shift points / speedo with your 4.10s if you dont have a chip / tuner?

Again, thanks for the helpful answers guys.

007 said:
How have you fixed your shift points / speedo with your 4.10s if you dont have a chip / tuner?

To be honest, I haven't. I've been running on a pretty off-base speedo for a good 6 months now. I was going to pick up that little bastard that I have to switch in the tranny, and replace it at the same time as the rest of the tranny work I'll be doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I need an aftermarket chip to be able to use one of the handheld tuners?

Also... the TCCoA site says:

Anyone who owns a AOD, AODE or 4R70W transmission it is very important that you replace your 1-2 accumulator ASAP! They like to go bad. It was part of a TBS and thus not required by Ford to recall all AOD and AODE transmissions.

Reason: Aluminum style wears out the case and burns up the 2nd clutch. 1-2 accumulator piston changed from aluminum to molded rubber. (Updated molded rubber style) F7AZ-7F251-AA. (See picture)

Should I be concerned about that?

2k3gt said:
Again, thanks for the helpful answers guys.

To be honest, I haven't. I've been running on a pretty off-base speedo for a good 6 months now. I was going to pick up that little bastard that I have to switch in the tranny, and replace it at the same time as the rest of the tranny work I'll be doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I need an aftermarket chip to be able to use one of the handheld tuners?

Also... the TCCoA site says:

Should I be concerned about that?

The part from TCCOA you quoted is for 98 and older 4R70W's. The J-Mod parts that you can do will benefit you.

You need either a chip or handheld tuner to correct your speedo.