4r70w Automatic Transmission Problems

HI I HAVE A 99 3.8 V6 WITH THE 4R70W AUTO TRANS.A COUPLE WEEKS AGO IT STARTED SLIPPING IN FIRST A LITTLE THEN IN 2 ND AS WELL.FIRST THOUGHT WAS THE BANDS WERE GOING,DO TO THE FACT THAT IT WOULD CATCH AND SHIFT ONCE IT WAS GOING.IF I STOPPED THEN IT WOULD START SLIPPING AGAIN.I BOUGHT SOME LUCUS TRANSMISSION FIX PUT IT IN TOOK IT ON A TEST DRIVE.SAME PROBLEM AT FIRST,TILL I DROPPED IN FIRST HIT THE GAS IT MADE A NOISE KINDA LIKE A CLUNK BUT NOT AS HARSH.ALL OF A SUDDEN I HAD NO SLIPPING IN ANY OF THE GEARS OR SHIFT POINTS.THE WEIRD THING IS NOW IT WONT GO IN REVERSE,NOT TO MENTION IT WILL GO THROUGH A GEAR IN NEUTRAL TILL IT HITS THE SHIFT POINT WHICH I HAVE TO PUT IN DRIVE.IF I PUT IN DRIVE IT WILL SHIFT FINE THROUGH ALL GEARS LIKE NORMAL. IT LOOKS LIKE IT MAY HAVE MOVED A LITTLE ON THE SHIFT CABLE ,BUT VALVE BODY AND EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD.NO PARTS IN PAN OR SHAVINGS,ANY IDEAS OR SIMILAR EXPERIENCE LIKE THIS?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet.
Typing in caps is like yelling, so lets not do that, now post your dilemma on the sn95 forums and they will give you some advice. Let 'em know how many miles are on that thing too.
And lose the caps.

Hi,
First off-Welcome to Stangnet :SN:
Secondly- I am far from a transmission expert - but I feel confident in saying, I think your transmission is toast.
If you’re able-drop the transmission pan,I’m betting you will find a lot of burnt fluid/silver sludge in there .

i actually have it off as we speak,no silver or parts or sludge,maybe a tiny bit on magnet but other than that looks new,nothing out of normal but i'm not a expert either,but have plenty of experience with different tranny situations,but this is a new one.fluid wasn't totally burnt either so,i don't know.thank you for your reply all info is good info

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
First off-Welcome to Stangnet :SN:
Secondly- I am far from a transmission expert - but I feel confident in saying, I think your transmission is toast.
If you’re able-drop the transmission pan,I’m betting you will find a lot of burnt fluid/silver sludge in there .
Ok raggety, you moved this, now I look like a boob, oh wait, I forgot, my ct, darn it! :doh:

4R70W’s use a MLPS/neutral safety switch right? You had mentioned the linkage being a bit off,if the sensor is out of adjustment,it can make the transmission act very erratic.
Might be worth a check :shrug:
AD8FE355-CA6F-4914-AD71-BA3DAE3E4833.jpeg
34271556-9EE6-469A-A62D-CCFC63E2F4FE.jpeg

i will definitely check that out. The guy at ford wasn't sure either he said maybe linkage also,just not wanting to put filter fluid back in and it not have the problem fixed.If it was the bands and such it should slip in all gears no matter what not just shift good and on point,other than the reverse thing which was strong before this whatever is going on ya know

4R70W’s use a MLPS/neutral safety switch right? You had mentioned the linkage being a bit off,if the sensor is out of adjustment,it can make the transmission act very erratic.
Might be worth a check :shrug:
AD8FE355-CA6F-4914-AD71-BA3DAE3E4833.jpeg
34271556-9EE6-469A-A62D-CCFC63E2F4FE.jpeg
hows it going so i was checking out the pic you sent of the MLPS and if i'm reading it right,it says in neutral the notch should line up with the line on the unit itself is that correct?