4v heads on GT block?

My friend has a 96GT built bottom end with a P1SC. he got scammed on heads when he was trying to get PI heads so he is running a stock ported head. He only made 302hp at 10psi. THere is a set of 93 mark VIII heads i have found for cheap and was wondering if they would work on his block. They are the same cast as 96-98 cobras I believe. Ofcourse he would need a cobra intake i would think. Will these heads work?
Also what other heads would be an upgrade and would fit? Would 99and up truck heads be the same as PI mustang heads? or crown vic heads?

• Sponsors (?)

it can be done. but it requires swapping out a lot of stuff. i looked it up once before and found all the parts to do it.

obvious parts needed are the intake, front cover, all the chains guides and sprockets, wiring harness and computer.

if i remember correctly the compression ratio went up when using 4 valve heads on a 2 valve block.

not sure about the 4v conversion, but I can answer the PI question.

Mustang started using Windsor PI heads in 1999 to 2000. Midyear 2000 they went back to Romeo PI heads. Only difference are the cam covers, timing cover bolt diameters, camshaft caps, and camshafts. The difference in cams between Windsor PI and Romeo PI are the cam gears, Windsors are pressed gears and Romeo's are bolt on.

The F150's and Crown vic's didn't get the PI heads till around '01. The camshafts are different from a Mustang, the are smaller. Don't be fooled here, I too was scammed on PI heads once, they were PI heads, but they were from a crown vic, the cam measured around .490 or so lift, Mustang is .510/.530.

Yes, the 5.4L heads are the same as the 4.6L, so heads from say, an '01 or better 5.4L are the same as a Mustang, just have more tame cams.

Romeo PI casting numbers are: RF-1L2E-6090-D24D (or D22D)
Windsor's are: XL3E-6090?-C20D and CZ0D

These are the 3 PI casting numbers that I know of, and are used on '01 and greater F150's, Crown Vic's, Town Car's, Mustang (99-04), 5.4L and 4.6L

Can anyone find something I missed?

i know this is older than hell but i JUST finished this swap on my girls 98 gt automatic.
98 4v heads on a 98 sohc block.
everything went great but did have to mod a couple things......you have to use the 4v guides and tensioners after modding them.
the primary chains are the same between the 4v and 2v
1 bolthole doesnt line up on the timing cover from the 4v to the 2v block.
DO NOT worry bout the wiring. all you need to do is lengthin 4 connectors i have pics if interested and dyno results

Hey, Im currently doing a 4v swap myself if you have any pictures I would love to see them!!!!
I'm also putting this on a 98 gt
I have:
mark 8 heads
Ford GT cams, valves, springs, and rockers
new guides and tensioners
intake
what i need maybe:?
(8)coil packs?
fuel pump?
tuner?
header?
6 years late

it can be done. but it requires swapping out a lot of stuff. i looked it up once before and found all the parts to do it.

obvious parts needed are the intake, front cover, all the chains guides and sprockets, wiring harness and computer.

if i remember correctly the compression ratio went up

when using 4 valve heads on a 2 valve block.

Comp will go down quite a lot. 93-95 mk8 heads have a slightly different combustion chamber then the 96+ heads, also they have different valve springs.

No need for any wiring changes either. A gt ecu will run a 4v no problem. A 4v is quite easy. You need the topend off a 4v car with the timing components.

Hey, Im currently doing a 4v swap myself if you have any pictures I would love to see them!!!!
I'm also putting this on a 98 gt
I have:
mark 8 heads
Ford GT cams, valves, springs, and rockers
new guides and tensioners

intake
what i need maybe:?
(8)coil packs?
fuel pump?
tuner?
header?
6 years late

Gt cams are a waste of time. B heads are not the best for an n/a setup either. Get some c heads with 96-01 cobra intake cams. B heads make zero tq down low and require a real gear 4.10+ to get moving.